Function to count the number of times a specific word appears in a string

In summary, the conversation addressed the issue of creating a function that counts the number of times the word "duck" appears in an array of strings. The code provided was modified to make it more efficient and accurate, and the use of arrays was eliminated. The conversation also discussed the difference between 'c' strings and std::strings, and provided solutions using both methods. The concept of pointers and using the strstr and string.find() functions were also explained. The summary concluded with a modified code that effectively counts the number of times "duck" appears in a string.
twotaileddemon
I think I am close but I really cannot figure out how to get the function to work properly. I need to have the user type in several lines and display a count of how many times the word "duck" has been used. I am not sure I am using the strstr right either... any help would be appreciated.
-----------
#include <iostream>
#include <string>
using namespace std;

// Write a function to display a count of the number
// of times the word "duck" appears in an array of strings.

//Prototype
int getDuckCount (string word[], int arraySize);

int main ( )
{
// Declaration
int count;
string line[100];
int size = 100;

// Input
cout << "Enter some lines to find a count of how many times"
<< " the word duck appears. Hit enter on a blank line to terminate." << endl;
for (int index = 0; ;index++)
{
getline (cin, line[index]);
if (line[index] == "") break;
count = getDuckCount (line[], size);
}

//Output
cout << "The word duck appears " << count << " times. Quack!" << endl;
return 0;
}

int getDuckCount (string word[], int arraySize)
{
int duckCount = 0;
char * duck;

{
duck = strstr (word[index], "duck");
if (word[index] == "") break;
if (word[index] == duck) duckCount++;
}
return duckCount;
}

Technology news on Phys.org
You are passing the entire array of lines to getduck each time a new line is entered, so you are recounting the previous lines each time. You should pass just the current line.
this will also simplify the getduckCount.

strstr returns a pointer to the first time duck appears in the string, It returns NULL if it never appears which you should check for.
Once you have found duck in a string you still need to search the rest of the string to see if it appears again. the normal way to do this would be to call strstr again with the pointer to the first occurence incremented.

ps. in your entering string for loop you could check that index<100.

pps. If you are using c++ std::string you could use one of the std::string search functions rather than the 'c' strstr.

mgb_phys said:
You are passing the entire array of lines to getduck each time a new line is entered, so you are recounting the previous lines each time. You should pass just the current line.
this will also simplify the getduckCount.

strstr returns a pointer to the first time duck appears in the string, It returns NULL if it never appears which you should check for.
Once you have found duck in a string you still need to search the rest of the string to see if it appears again. the normal way to do this would be to call strstr again with the pointer to the first occurence incremented.

ps. in your entering string for loop you could check that index<100.

pps. If you are using c++ std::string you could use one of the std::string search functions rather than the 'c' strstr.

How do I find out about std::string search functions? What are they.

I modified the code so that it doesn't use arrays... since you said to check one line at a time, I thought this was the approach to do. I can handle it for null definitely.. but I would like to do that last as this is due today and I can do that with little difficulty. It's the part of "call strstr again with the pointer to the first occurence incremented" that I don't understand..

modified code so far:

#include <iostream>
#include <string>
using namespace std;

//Prototype
int getDuckCount (string word);

int main ( )
{
// Declaration
int count;
string line;

// Input
{
getline (cin, line);
if (line == "") break;
count = getDuckCount (line);
}

//Output
return 0;
}

//Function to get the number of times "duck" appears
int getDuckCount (string word)
{
int duckCount = 0;
string * duck;

duck = strstr (word, "duck");
if (word == duck) duckCount++;

return duckCount;
}

Actually I am coming closer
if I enter on one line dog cat duck duck and on another duck duck duck... it gives me a count of 3, which means it must be only reading the last line in...

Did some research and got this:

#include <iostream>
#include <string>
using namespace std;

//Prototype
int getDuckCount (string word);

int main ( )
{
// Declaration
int count;
string line;

// Input
{
getline (cin, line);
if (line == "") break;
count = getDuckCount (line);
}

//Output
return 0;
}

//Function to get the number of times "duck" appears
int getDuckCount (string word)
{
int duckCount = 0;
int index = 0;
for(index = word.find("duck", 0); index != string::npos; index = word.find("duck", index))
{
duckCount++;
index++;
}

return duckCount;
}

A 'c' string is a bunch of bytes in memory ending with a zero.
eg. char line[]="hello duck and duck";
the value of line[] is a number, a position in memory say 0x1234000
result = strstr(line,"duck") will return result=0x1234006 ie 6 "duck" starts 6 bytes later in memory than the start of the string.
The pointer returned by strstr is equivalent to just the original string pointer.
So you could call strstr again with this pointer.
strstr(result,"duck") would find the first duck again, since that is at the front of the new string - so you increment result by 1 so it starts searching from the 'u' in duck onward and returns the position of the second duck.
In practice you would increment it by 4 since you know there can't be another duck less than 4 characters after the first duck - and you have to check that the new search isn't at the end of the string.

The string.find() function is similair but handles some of the memory stuff for you so it returns the position in the string not the position in memory. See http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/string/string/find.html

ps. If you are only counting ducks as they are entered do you need to store all the input lines at all? Can you just reuse one string and check each line as it is entered?

Edit - ok th eabove applies to your previous post.

Your new post is the correct way of doing it except.
You are only storing the number found for each line and then printing the last one.
You need to add the result of duckCOunt to the total count.

mgb_phys said:
A 'c' string is a bunch of bytes in memory ending with a zero.
eg. char line[]="hello duck and duck";
the value of line[] is a number, a position in memory say 0x1234000
result = strstr(line,"duck") will return result=0x1234006 ie 6 "duck" starts 6 bytes later in memory than the start of the string.
The pointer returned by strstr is equivalent to just the original string pointer.
So you could call strstr again with this pointer.
strstr(result,"duck") would find the first duck again, since that is at the front of the new string - so you increment result by 1 so it starts searching from the 'u' in duck onward and returns the position of the second duck.
In practice you would increment it by 4 since you know there can't be another duck less than 4 characters after the first duck - and you have to check that the new search isn't at the end of the string.

The string.find() function is similair but handles some of the memory stuff for you so it returns the position in the string not the position in memory. See http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/string/string/find.html

ps. If you are only counting ducks as they are entered do you need to store all the input lines at all? Can you just reuse one string and check each line as it is entered?

I could reuse one string and check each line as it is entered. I will try that. I have class now, but will work on it later. Thanks so much for your help! :)

1. How do I write a function to count the number of times a specific word appears in a string?

To write a function for this task, you will need to first define the function and give it a name. Then, the function should take in two parameters - the string and the specific word. Within the function, you can use a loop or the .split() method to break up the string into individual words and then use a conditional statement to check if each word is equal to the specific word. If it is, you can increment a counter variable. Finally, the function should return the value of the counter variable.

2. What is the .split() method and how does it work?

The .split() method is a built-in function in most programming languages that allows you to split a string into an array of substrings. It takes in a delimiter (such as a space or comma) and breaks up the string at each instance of the delimiter. The result is an array of substrings that you can then loop through or access individually.

3. Can I use regular expressions to count the number of times a specific word appears in a string?

Yes, regular expressions can also be used to count the number of times a specific word appears in a string. You can use the .match() method with a regular expression pattern to find all instances of the word in the string. The result will be an array that you can then use the .length property on to get the total count.

4. Is it possible to make the function case-sensitive?

Yes, you can make the function case-sensitive by using the .toLowerCase() or .toUpperCase() method on both the string and the specific word before comparing them. This will ensure that all letters are in the same case before checking for equality.

5. Can I use this function to count the number of times multiple words appear in a string?

Yes, you can modify the function to take in an array of specific words instead of just one word. Then, you can use a nested loop to check each word in the array against each word in the string and increment the counter accordingly. Finally, the function can return an object with the words as keys and their respective counts as values.