Parametrizing a Cylinder: Solving for the Part Between Two Planes

• Thread starter hils0005
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cylinder
In summary, the conversation discusses parametrizing the part of a cylinder between two planes and the correct parametric equations are x=x, y=3cos(theta), z=6sin(theta). The cross sections of the cylinder are circles and the original problem has a factor of 4 that needs to be taken into account. The conversation also mentions the use of theta going from 0 to 2pi.
hils0005

Homework Statement

Parametrize the part of the cylinder 4y^2 + z^2 = 36 between the planes x= -3 and x=7

The Attempt at a Solution

radius=6
Parametric equations:
x=x
y=4 + 6cos(theta)
z=6sin(theta)

in vector form
[tex]\widehat{}r[/tex]= x[tex]\widehat{}i[/tex] + (4 + 6cos(theta))[tex]\widehat{}j[/tex] + 6sin(theta)[tex]\widehat{}k[/tex]

-3 [tex]\leq[/tex] x [tex]\leq[/tex] 7

I really don't know if I'm completing correctly, any direction would be appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
hils0005 said:

Homework Statement

Parametrize the part of the cylinder 4y^2 + z^2 = 36 between the planes x= -3 and x=7

The Attempt at a Solution

radius=6
Parametric equations:
x=x
y=4 + 6cos(theta)
z=6sin(theta)

These y,z do NOT satisfy 4y^2+z^2=36. Moreover, you cannot speak of a radius here, as the crosssection of the cylinder is not a circle.

the cross sections of the cylinder perpendicular to the x-axis are circles y^2 + z^2=6^2 correct?
then this would be given parametrically as y=6cos(theta) and z=6sin(theta) right?

This is correct, but in your original problem the y^2 is multiplied by a factor 4.
If you let y'=2y, then you have

y'^2+z^2=36 and so

y'=6 cos(theta)
z =6 sin(theta)

Now use y=y'/2 and you're done.

Thanks I did not know what to do with factor of 4

so would this be correct?
x=x
y=3cos(theta)
z=6sin(theta)

in vector form
[tex]\widehat{}r[/tex]= x[tex]\widehat{}i[/tex] + 3cos(theta)[tex]\widehat{}j[/tex] + 6sin(theta)[tex]\widehat{}k[/tex]

-3 [tex]\leq[/tex] x [tex]\leq[/tex] 7

do i need to say anything about theta going from 0 to 2pi?

1. What does it mean to parametrize a cylinder?

Parametrizing a cylinder means finding a mathematical representation for all points on the surface of the cylinder in terms of one or more parameters.

2. Why is parametrizing a cylinder useful?

Parametrizing a cylinder can make calculations and equations involving the cylinder easier and more efficient to solve, as well as provide a better understanding of the shape and properties of the cylinder.

3. How do you parametrize a cylinder?

To parametrize a cylinder, you can use the equations x = r cos(theta) and y = r sin(theta) to represent the circular base of the cylinder, and z = h to represent the height of the cylinder, where r is the radius, theta is the angle in radians, and h is the height.

4. Can a cylinder be parametrized in different ways?

Yes, a cylinder can be parametrized in different ways depending on the specific parameters chosen. For example, one can use polar coordinates or cylindrical coordinates to parametrize a cylinder.

5. Are there any real-world applications of parametrizing a cylinder?

Yes, parametrizing a cylinder has many real-world applications, such as in computer graphics to create 3D models, in engineering for designing cylindrical structures, and in physics for analyzing the rotation and motion of objects.