Can anyone help with cylindrical polar coords?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of deriving cylindrical polar coordinates from Cartesian coordinates. The individual mentions drawing a diagram and using trigonometric functions to find the relationships between the coordinates, and doubts the existence of a more fundamental method. They suggest constructing a matrix of partial derivatives and inverting it as an alternative approach.
kala

Homework Statement

This is a question in my classical mechanics book, and i am not very good with polar coordinates. I am suppose to fine r, phi, z in terms of x,y,z.
Basically I need to derive the cylindrical polar coordinates from the Cartesian coordinates.
The question specifically asks Find expressions for the unit vectors r,phi,z of cylindrical polar coordinates in terms of the Cartesian coordinates.

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I have drawn a picture of cylinder and labeled everything i could. Now I know z=z, that is no problem. I know that x=r*cos[theta] and y=r*sin[theta], I also know that r=sqrt[x^2+y^2] and i know that phi=arctan[y/x]. The only way that i know how to derive these is drawing a triangle and showing it, is there any other way, like actually deriving them?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think there is any other way. The polar coordinates, in the first place, are defined by the drawing you have made, so in my opinion, there is no more "fundamental" way to arrive at the relations.

You can construct a matrix of partial derivatives that convert from polar to Cartesian (the way you know how to do, obviously, from your post). Then, invert the matrix.

1. What are cylindrical polar coordinates?

Cylindrical polar coordinates are a type of coordinate system used in mathematics and physics to describe the location of a point in three-dimensional space. They consist of a distance from the origin, an angle in the xy-plane, and a height above the xy-plane.

2. How do cylindrical polar coordinates differ from Cartesian coordinates?

In cylindrical polar coordinates, the location of a point is described using a distance and two angles, while in Cartesian coordinates, it is described using three distances along each of the x, y, and z axes.

3. When are cylindrical polar coordinates most commonly used?

Cylindrical polar coordinates are often used when dealing with problems involving cylindrical or rotational symmetry, such as in fluid dynamics or electromagnetism.

4. How do you convert between cylindrical polar coordinates and Cartesian coordinates?

To convert from cylindrical polar coordinates (r, θ, z) to Cartesian coordinates (x, y, z), you can use the following equations:x = r * cos(θ)y = r * sin(θ)z = zConversely, to convert from Cartesian coordinates to cylindrical polar coordinates, you can use the equations:r = √(x² + y²)θ = tan⁻¹(y/x)z = z

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using cylindrical polar coordinates?

While cylindrical polar coordinates are useful in certain situations, they may not be as intuitive or convenient to use as Cartesian coordinates. Additionally, they cannot be used to describe points outside of a three-dimensional space, whereas Cartesian coordinates can be extended to higher dimensions.