Real Analysis Proof: (1+x)^y ≤ 1+ x^y for 0<y≤1 - Homework Help

In summary: That is, showing that f(x)=0 for x=0.In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove the inequality (1+x)^y <= 1 + x^y for all x>=0, where y is a fixed real number satisfying 0<y<=1. The solution involves taking the derivative of the function f(x)=(1+x)^y - (1+x^y) and showing that it is always positive, thus proving the inequality. A separate case is also considered for when y=0.
bobcat817

Homework Statement

Let y be a fixed real number satisfying 0<y[tex]\leq[/tex]1. Prove that (1+x)[tex]^{y}[/tex][tex]\leq[/tex]1+ x[tex]^{y}[/tex] for all x[tex]\geq[/tex]0.

Homework Equations

I'm not sure.

The Attempt at a Solution

The hint given with the problem states that the derivative of x[tex]^{y}[/tex] is yx[tex]^{y-1}[/tex]. My first thought is that I'm supposed to show that they are both strictly increasing, but I don't really know what that would help me with.

I'm not really looking for an answer so much as a bit of direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
bobcat817 said:

Homework Statement

Let y be a fixed real number satisfying 0<y[tex]\leq[/tex]1. Prove that (1+x)[tex]^{y}[/tex][tex]\leq[/tex]1+ x[tex]^{y}[/tex] for all x[tex]\geq[/tex]0.

Are you sure you didn't reverse the inequality sign?
Take f(x)=(1+x)y-1-xy and show that f' is positive for all positive x. This implies that f(x) is positive for all x because f(0)=0.

Oh yes. I am quite certain that the inequality is right. Doing a few test cases shows that it is the correct inequality. So, basically, I end up with:

-1<p[tex]\leq[/tex]0 Then letting p=|p|

and f'(x)=y[tex]\frac{1}{x^{p}}[/tex]-[tex]\frac{1}{(1+x)^{p}}[/tex]. And since x[tex]\geq[/tex]0 for all x, and since x<x+1 for all x, x[tex]^{p}[/tex][tex]\leq[/tex](x+1)[tex]^{p}[/tex] and so [tex]\frac{1}{(x+1)^{p}}[/tex][tex]\leq[/tex][tex]\frac{1}{x^{p}}[/tex] giving that f'(x) is always positive and with f(0)=0, the intended result.

I trust that this is in the right direction, and thank you very much for your response.

I suppose I should do a separate case for p=0.

What is Real Analysis Proof?

Real Analysis Proof is a branch of mathematics that deals with the rigorous study of real numbers and their properties. It involves the use of logic, axioms, definitions, and theorems to prove mathematical statements.

What is the statement (1+x)^y ≤ 1+ x^y for 0

This statement is an inequality that states that for any real numbers x and y, if y is greater than 0 and less than or equal to 1, then the expression (1+x)^y is less than or equal to 1+ x^y.

Why is the inequality (1+x)^y ≤ 1+ x^y true for 0

This inequality is true because of the properties of real numbers and exponentiation. When y is between 0 and 1, raising a number greater than 1 (such as 1+x) to the power of y will result in a smaller number than raising a number less than 1 (such as x) to the same power.

What is the significance of 0

The range of values for y, 0

How is this Real Analysis Proof useful?

This Real Analysis Proof is useful in many areas of mathematics, including calculus, number theory, and geometry. It also has applications in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields. Additionally, this proof helps to establish a solid foundation for understanding the properties of real numbers and their relationships.