Parallel Tangent Planes on a Given Surface

In summary, the problem involves finding all points on a given surface where the tangent plane is parallel to a given plane. The formula for finding the tangent plane at a specific point is given, but it is not clear how to determine which points fulfill the given condition. It is mentioned that two planes are parallel if their normal vectors are scalar multiples of each other, and this knowledge can be combined with the formula to solve the problem. However, the attempted solution using cross product did not yield the correct answer. Another approach is suggested, which involves solving for the scalar multiple k in the equation 12x+y-3z=k(4x,2y,-2z)^T and substituting it into the equation of the surface to find the
wbluem88

Homework Statement

A surface is given by the equation

2x2+y2-z2=64

Find all points p on the surface where the tangent plane is parallel to the plane 12x+y-3z=0.

Homework Equations

I know the equation of a plane tangent to a surface at point (x0,y0,z0) is given by the equation

z-z0= (partialz/partialx)(x0-y0)+(partialz/partialy)(x0-y0)

The Attempt at a Solution

I can use the above equation to find the tangent plane at any certain point p, but I don't know how to find which ones are parallel to a certain plane.

Physics news on Phys.org
By the way, this is on a review for my final exam. It's not homework, I just know that something similar will be on the final.

Two planes are parallel iff their normal vectors are scalar multiples, and this happens just when the cross product of their normal vectors is 0. Combine this knowledge with that formula you have.

*sigh* I did all the work but it came out wrong :(

The normal vector of a plane ax+by+cz+d=0 is specified by [a b c], so the normal vector for 12x+y-3z = 0 is [12 1 -3].

The normal vector of a surface f(x,y,z) at point (x0,y0,z0) is [fx fy fz], so the normal vector for 2x2+y2-z2=64 is [4x0 2y0 -2z0]

[12 1 -3] X [4x0 2y0 -2z0] = 0

<((1*-2z0)-(-3*2y0)), ((-3*4x0)-(-12*-2z0)),((12*2y0)-(1*4x0))>=0

-2z0+6y0=0
-12x0+24z0=0
12y0-4x0=0

I don't know where I went wrong.

You don't have to use cross product for this. You have [tex]k(12,1,-3)^T = (4x,2y,-2z)^T[/tex] The k is the scalar multiple. Just solve x,y,z in terms of k and put it into the equation of the surface to solve for k. Then you have the answer.

1. What is a tangent plane to a surface?

A tangent plane to a surface is a flat plane that touches a curved surface at only one point. It is a two-dimensional surface that is perpendicular to the surface at that point.

2. How is a tangent plane calculated?

A tangent plane can be calculated by finding the partial derivatives of the surface's equation at the given point and using them to construct a linear approximation of the surface at that point.

3. What is the purpose of a tangent plane?

The purpose of a tangent plane is to help visualize and understand the behavior of a curved surface at a specific point. It can also be used to approximate the surface's behavior in the immediate vicinity of that point.

4. Can a tangent plane be used to find normal vectors?

Yes, a normal vector to the surface at the given point can be found by taking the cross product of the two partial derivatives used to construct the tangent plane.

5. Are there any real-world applications of tangent planes?

Yes, tangent planes are used in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer graphics to analyze and model the behavior of surfaces. For example, in computer graphics, tangent planes are used to create more realistic lighting and shading effects on 3D surfaces.