Consistent enumeration on a poset

• Thread starter farleyknight
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of a consistent enumeration in a poset and clarifies that in a partially ordered set, the function may not be an injection if two elements are not comparable. This is different from a linear extension or topological sorting.
farleyknight
Hey all,

I've got a copy of Schaum's outline of Discrete Mathematics, and in the section on ordered subsets and lattices, it includes the definition of a consistent enumeration:

Succinctly, given a poset P, there exists f: P -> N, so that if a < b then f(a) < f(b)

http://books.google.com/books?id=6A...meration"&source=gbs_search_s&cad=0#PPA447,M1

However, I had this in my notes that it was not just a function but an injection. Of course, looking at it again, I didn't consider the case of a || b. I don't know where I got this from and now I'm slightly confused. The closest I could find to this definition was a linear extension and topological sorting, which are slightly different.

Does anyone know this topic well enough to dispell my confusion?

Thanks,
- Farley

Physics news on Phys.org
IF P is linearly ordered, then "if a< b then f(a)< f(b)" implies that f is an injection. However, in a partially ordered set, it may happen that a and b are "not comparable" (i.e. none of a= b, a< b, nor b< a is true) in which case f(a) may equal f(b) and so f is not necessarily an injection.

1. What is a poset?

A poset, or partially ordered set, is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of elements and a binary relation that defines a partial order between those elements.

2. What is consistent enumeration on a poset?

Consistent enumeration on a poset is a method of counting and listing all the elements in a poset in a systematic and consistent manner, taking into account the partial order relation between the elements.

3. Why is consistent enumeration important?

Consistent enumeration is important because it allows for a clear and organized way of representing the elements of a poset, which can aid in understanding the structure and properties of the poset. It also allows for efficient algorithms to be developed for solving problems related to posets.

4. Can consistent enumeration be applied to any poset?

Yes, consistent enumeration can be applied to any poset, as long as the partial order relation is well-defined and the elements of the poset can be uniquely identified.

5. Are there any limitations to consistent enumeration on a poset?

One limitation of consistent enumeration on a poset is that it can become computationally intensive for large posets with many elements and a complex partial order relation. In some cases, it may not be possible to enumerate all the elements in a poset due to its size or complexity.