Piezo-electric actuator’s resonance frequency

In summary: There is a maximum drive voltage which will determine the maximum displacement. More voltage will give more energy, but the time to dissipate it is the same.
Mestik
Hi all,

Sorry for any mistakes but this is my first time I write a post in English.

I would like someone to explain me exactly what is the resonance frequency in a piezo-electric actuator. Also give me any link for more information.

Does the frequency of the controller play any role because I would like to keep it and change only the piezo-electric actuators?

Thanks for any help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
resonance frequency is the nemesis frequency for all the systems. let's suppose that you are operating the actuator 100 times a second, & its resonant frequency also happens to be so, the amplitude ll go berserk.

For your second question, make sure you don't end up with an actuator with its resonant frequency close to the controller frequency

Thanks for your reply.

So the actuator has the maximum displacement when operates with its resonant frequency.

What determines that the actuator operates with this frequency? Is the maximum drive voltage?

not maximum, it is infinite, well that's the theory part. In actual practice, damping isn't negligible, so there is a maximum. I would recommend you read a book about vibrations.

The input controller determines the frequency you want to operate on. eg, you can have the actuator operate 100 times a second(100Hz) or 1000 times a second(1000Hz) etc. Input voltage would vary the amplitude, not the frequency. More voltage, more the energy, but still the time to dissipate it is same(time depends on the frequency), so higher is the amplitude of vibration.

Still, reading a book would be most beneficial to you.

Mestik said:
Thanks for your reply.

So the actuator has the maximum displacement when operates with its resonant frequency.

What determines that the actuator operates with this frequency? Is the maximum drive voltage?

The piezo will operate at the same frequency as the driver. It is desired (in most applications) that this is less than the resonance frequency, to avoid the large amplitude vibrations that ank_gl mentioned.

1. What is a piezo-electric actuator’s resonance frequency?

A piezo-electric actuator’s resonance frequency is the frequency at which it vibrates most efficiently. This is the frequency at which the actuator will produce the largest displacement or force.

2. Why is resonance frequency important in piezo-electric actuators?

Resonance frequency is important because it determines the maximum amplitude and efficiency of the actuator’s movement. Operating the actuator at its resonance frequency allows for the most precise and powerful movement.

3. How is the resonance frequency of a piezo-electric actuator determined?

The resonance frequency of a piezo-electric actuator can be determined through testing, either by applying a voltage sweep and measuring the resulting displacement or by tapping the actuator and measuring the resulting frequency with a spectrum analyzer.

4. Can the resonance frequency of a piezo-electric actuator be changed?

Yes, the resonance frequency of a piezo-electric actuator can be changed by altering the physical dimensions of the actuator or by changing the material it is made of. However, this should only be done under the guidance of an experienced engineer to ensure proper functioning of the actuator.

5. How does temperature affect the resonance frequency of a piezo-electric actuator?

Temperature can affect the resonance frequency of a piezo-electric actuator by causing changes in the material’s properties, such as its stiffness and density. This can result in a shift in the resonance frequency, so it is important to take temperature into consideration when designing and using piezo-electric actuators.