Non-uniform acceleration equation

In summary, the formula for non-uniform acceleration is a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time. Non-uniform acceleration is different from uniform acceleration in that it involves varying changes in velocity over time. Examples of non-uniform acceleration include a car accelerating from a stop, a rollercoaster going up and down hills, and a person throwing a ball into the air. The rate of change of acceleration, or the derivative of acceleration, can be calculated by taking the derivative of the non-uniform acceleration equation, which is dv/dt. Understanding non-uniform acceleration is important in science because it helps explain the motion and behavior of objects in the
candycooke
I need to know the non-uniform acceleration equation to determine final position given:
initial position
initial velocity
initial acceleration
jerk
time

I know that the equation with uniform acceleration is:
x(f) = x(i) + v(i)t + (1/2)at^2

I think the equation I'm looking for is the following, but I'm not exactly certain:
x(f) = x(i) + v(i)t + (1/2)at^2 + (1/6)jt^3

Physics news on Phys.org

Assuming that your jerk is constant, and that "a" in your equation is the initial acceleration [so by your notation, a(i)], then yes, you have the correct equation . =]

I can confirm that the equation you are looking for is correct. The non-uniform acceleration equation takes into account not only the initial position, velocity, and acceleration, but also the jerk (the change in acceleration over time). This equation is known as the "polynomial motion equation" and is commonly used to calculate the final position of an object undergoing non-uniform acceleration. By including the jerk term, it allows for a more accurate representation of the object's motion over time. I hope this helps in your calculations!

1. What is the formula for non-uniform acceleration?

The formula for non-uniform acceleration is a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

2. How is non-uniform acceleration different from uniform acceleration?

Uniform acceleration is when an object's velocity changes by an equal amount in each unit of time, while non-uniform acceleration is when an object's velocity changes by varying amounts in each unit of time.

3. What are some examples of non-uniform acceleration?

Some examples of non-uniform acceleration include a car accelerating from a stop, a rollercoaster going up and down hills, and a person throwing a ball into the air.

4. How do you calculate the rate of change of acceleration?

The rate of change of acceleration, or the derivative of acceleration, can be calculated by taking the derivative of the non-uniform acceleration equation, which is dv/dt.

5. Why is understanding non-uniform acceleration important in science?

Understanding non-uniform acceleration is important in science because it helps explain the motion and behavior of objects in the real world. It allows scientists to accurately predict and analyze the movement of objects in various scenarios, such as in physics, engineering, and astronomy.