How to show two rings are not isomorphic

• Thread starter samkolb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rings
In summary, two rings are not isomorphic if there is no group isomorphism that is a ring isomorphism.
samkolb
I'm just beginning my study of rings, and I'm wondering if there are some standard ways to show that two rings are not isomorphic. I've studied groups quite a bit and I know some of the ways to show that two groups are not isomorphic (G contains an element of order 2 while G' contains no element of order 2, etc...).

In particular, if for two rings R and R' their associated abelian groups A and A' are isomorphic, what are some ways to use the multiplicative properties of R and R' to show that R and R' are not isomprhic?

The problem I'm working on is to show that the rings 2Z and 3Z are not isomorphic.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here, 2Z and 3Z are both subrings of Z. You could look at Z/2Z and Z/3Z. If 2Z and 3Z were isomorphic, then Z/2Z and Z/3Z should be isomorphic as well.

Suppose
2Z~3Z
with f an isomorphism and
f(2)=3k k in Z
2+2=2*2
f(2+2)=f(2*2)
use the properties of f and Z to arrive at a contradiction

Consider the isomorphism that relates 2Z and 3Z as abelian groups (or nZ for any integer n). As groups, these structures are isomorphic. In order to be isomorphic as rings, the homomorphism property must be satisfied for addition and multiplication. We know that addition works, and we need to check multiplication. Use the same isomorphism you used under addition, and you will see that it fails with multiplication.

joecoz88 said:
Consider the isomorphism that relates 2Z and 3Z as abelian groups (or nZ for any integer n). As groups, these structures are isomorphic. In order to be isomorphic as rings, the homomorphism property must be satisfied for addition and multiplication. We know that addition works, and we need to check multiplication. Use the same isomorphism you used under addition, and you will see that it fails with multiplication.

That alone doesn't solve it; you only showed that one particular group isomorphism isn't a ring isomorphism. You need to explain why there is no group isomorphism that is a ring isomorphism. (Then again, there are only two group isomorphisms, and it's easy to check both.)

lurflurf gives a simple solution with a concrete example, and quasar987 gives a more abstract one (but nicer).

Yes I see that my solution wasn't general enough, thanks for the correction.

But I am having trouble following quasars logic, maybe someone could elaborate?

I can't see the reason why if 2Z and 3Z are isomorphic, then Z/2Z and Z/3Z should be isomorphic? Is this reasoning valid?

As groups we can see that 2Z and 3Z are isomorphic, but Z/2Z and Z/3Z are not isomorphic.

Well, uh,

good point! :) No, it's not valid, and silly me. And bad quasar. :)

Last edited:
lurflurf's explanation does not describe a specific isomorphism. I agree that picking a function and showing that it is not a ring isomorphism is insufficient to show that two rings are not isomorphic; however, lurflurf's explanation simply made use of the fact that for any function f: A->B, if x belongs to A then f(x) belongs to B. In this example, A=2Z and B=3Z, so if f is an isomorphism from A to B, f(2) belongs to 3Z and thus is of the form 3k for some integer k. lurflurf's other remarks can then be used to show that 2Z and 3Z are not isomorphic, as f was chosen arbitrarily and the description of f(2) came from the description of the codomain of f.

A first way for that is to look the invertible elements of the rings .

placemat said:
lurflurf's other remarks can then be used to show that 2Z and 3Z are not isomorphic

But they are isomorhpic, as rings, with the map 2-->3 (and they're just isomorphic to Z).

The map that matt shows it not a ring isomorphism, for the exact reason that lurflurf gave: f(2 + 2) = f(2*2) which will contradict any isomorphism between the two structures.

Doh, being stupid again, sorry.

1. How can I tell if two rings are not isomorphic?

To show that two rings are not isomorphic, you need to find a characteristic property that one ring has but the other does not. This could be the number of elements in the ring, the structure of the ring, or the operations defined on the ring.

2. What is the difference between isomorphic and non-isomorphic rings?

Isomorphic rings have the same structure and properties, but may have different elements. Non-isomorphic rings have different structures and properties, and therefore cannot be mapped onto each other.

3. Can two rings with different numbers of elements be isomorphic?

No, isomorphic rings must have the same number of elements. If two rings have different numbers of elements, they cannot have a one-to-one mapping between their elements, and therefore are not isomorphic.

4. What are some common characteristics to look for when trying to show two rings are not isomorphic?

Some common characteristics to look for are the number of elements in the ring, the presence or absence of a multiplicative identity element, the commutativity of the ring, and the existence of zero divisors.

5. How do I prove that two rings are not isomorphic?

You can prove that two rings are not isomorphic by finding a characteristic property that one ring has but the other does not. This could be done through a direct proof, a proof by contradiction, or a counterexample. Alternatively, you could show that the two rings have different properties, such as different numbers of elements or different structures.