When Do Physics Courses Start Getting Interesting?

In summary: The first of the three intro courses is designed to get you up to speed on the basics of physics. As long as you are willing to put in the effort, it can be a lot of fun. If it is too boring, you can also challenge yourself and try the harder problems, or invent your own variations over the ones you are required to solve, or make a program to simulate some slightly different situation (for example, one that turns out not to be solvable analytically).
Alem2000
Can anyone tell me when they start teaching you fun physics. Because the first of the three intro courses was sooo boaring...i mean compared to what i see in the other textbooks.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's as fun as you want it to be. For me, things started getting cool in Junior year when we got the ability to do a few open-ended projects. Talk to your professors about signing on to do research with one of them.

Besides, if it is too boring, you can also challenge yourself and try the harder problems, or invent your own variations over the ones you are required to solve, or make a program to simulate some slightly different situation (for example, one that turns out not to be solvable analytically).

As enigma said, it gets as fun as you make it, and the more you play with the simple ideas now, the better off you will be later on, when faced with the real tough stuff. Also, the more techniques you learn, find or invent yourself now to solve simple stuff, the better prepared you will be for what comes later.

I always thought it might be fun for a student to bowl over the instructor--well, the instructor's grader anyway--by using some advanced technique to solve a homework problem or exam problem in an elegant way. If they are expecting you to solve an e.m. problem with E and B fields, use the 4-vector potential or the Faraday tensor instead.

I used to do that in high school, Janitor. I enjoyed it.

Alem2000 said:
sooo boaring...
The hangin' judge came in unnoticed and was being wined and dined,
The boarin' in the wall kept up but no one seemed to pay it any mind.
It was known all around that Lily had Jim's ring
And nothing would ever come between Lily and the king.
No, nothin' ever would except maybe the Jack of Hearts.

Oops... you meant boring (apologies to Zimmerman).

Hello, theFuture. I hope we will get to hear some personal stories from you as time permits.

theFuture said:
I used to do that in high school, Janitor. I enjoyed it.

yeah using the langragian for a simple pendulum. Not quite on the same par as using tensors, but it still gets a few odd looks, and that's what life is about.

As for boring undergrad courses, grit your teeth and study what you're really interested. As far as I'm concerned all taking a class does is make it official, i haven't taken a science or math class in sometime where i hadn't already studied the materially independently a year or more before (which of course means i spent my time in those classes studying whatever new material i had moved on to.). It helps to keep things interesting because you can choose what you want to study. Like tensor calculus in the middle of 20th century history :approve:

krab said:
Oops... you meant boring (apologies to Zimmerman).

This is why thought and sleep deprivation do not mix well.

Alem2000 said:
Can anyone tell me when they start teaching you fun physics. Because the first of the three intro courses was sooo boaring...i mean compared to what i see in the other textbooks.

Was it boring because it was too easy ? Or did you just not get what it was all about ?

1. What are boaring undergrad courses?

Boaring undergrad courses are undergraduate courses that are considered dull, uninteresting, or lacking in excitement or creativity.

2. How can I avoid taking boaring undergrad courses?

To avoid taking boaring undergrad courses, you can research the course descriptions and reviews before enrolling, talk to upperclassmen or advisors for recommendations, and try to take electives in subjects that interest you.

3. Are boaring undergrad courses necessary for my degree?

It depends on your degree requirements. Some boaring undergrad courses may be required for your major, while others may be elective options. You should consult with your academic advisor to determine which courses are necessary for your degree.

4. How can I make the most out of a boaring undergrad course?

To make the most out of a boaring undergrad course, try to find connections between the material and your interests, participate in class discussions and activities, and ask questions to gain a deeper understanding of the subject.

5. Will taking boaring undergrad courses affect my GPA?

Yes, taking boaring undergrad courses can potentially affect your GPA if you do not put in the effort to do well in the class. It is important to stay engaged and motivated in all courses, even if they may not be the most exciting.