Applying to Canadian grad schools if you're American

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's interest in applying to the Applied Math program at the University of Waterloo in Canada. They mention having a high GPA and question whether they should apply for a PhD or a Master's program. They also inquire about their chances of receiving financial aid, specifically a TA-ship. The conversation also briefly touches on the differences between grad school in Canada and the US, such as the emphasis on GRE scores and the perception of M.Sc. programs. The speaker also mentions the possibility of directly entering a PhD program with a high GPA and letters of recommendation. Overall, it is stated that most grad students in Canada receive some form of financial aid and that Waterloo guarantees funding for two years for Master's students and four years
JasonJo
I want to apply to a Canadian grad school that is of particular interest to me. I did pretty well, I have a very high GPA (overall and math wise) on a 4.0 scale.

Do I apply for PhD or do I apply for masters? What are my chances of receiving any aid in terms of a TA-ship? How exactly does grad school work in Canada?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

EDIT: Why not just mention the school, it's Waterloo's Applied Math program.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think grad school in Canada is all that different from grad school in the US. Just about all grad students receive some form of financial aid. The specifcs of this are usually available on each school's web-page. Of course, coming from the US, you would be considered an international student, and as such have higher fees than Canadian citizens.

Some differences that I've picked up on:
- Canadian schools place less emphasis on GRE marks if they even consider them at all
- getting into a "top tier" school does not seem so be as big of a deal
- M.Sc. programs are seen as an alternative route to a Ph.D., whereas I get the impression from some American schools that the M.Sc. is seen as some kind of consolation prize

Choppy said:
- M.Sc. programs are seen as an alternative route to a Ph.D., whereas I get the impression from some American schools that the M.Sc. is seen as some kind of consolation prize

M.Sc. isn't merely an alternative route; in Canada you must apply for a Master's degree if you only have a B.Sc.. Most schools have the option of transfering into a Ph.D. program if you're doing well in the master's program (the applied math dept page at Waterloo lists this as an option). It would be very rare in Canada to get directly into a Ph.D. program without a M.Sc. first.

As for funding, the department's webpage states,

All Masters students are guaranteed funding for two years and Ph.D. students for four years, at a level that will cover academic and living expenses.

The Applied Math dept's webpage: http://www.math.uwaterloo.ca/AM_Dept/grad/

U of T (University of Toronto) has a policy that if you have a 3.5 GPA from your bachelors and you have letters of recommendation to back you up, you can go straight to their phD program. Waterloo might have a similar policy that you may want to follow up on.

1. Can American students apply to Canadian grad schools?

Yes, American students are eligible to apply to Canadian grad schools. Each university may have specific requirements for international students, so it is important to research and follow their application guidelines.

2. Do I need a visa to study in Canada as an American student?

Yes, American students will need a study permit to attend a Canadian grad school. This can be obtained through the Canadian government's website or through the Canadian embassy in the United States.

3. How do I choose which Canadian grad school to apply to?

It is important to research and compare different Canadian universities and their programs to find the best fit for your academic and career goals. Consider factors such as program offerings, faculty, location, and cost.

4. Are there any differences in the application process for American students applying to Canadian grad schools?

The application process for American students is similar to that of Canadian students, but there may be additional requirements for international students. This could include language proficiency tests, proof of financial resources, and visa documents.

5. Can I receive financial aid or scholarships as an American student studying in Canada?

Some Canadian universities may offer financial aid or scholarships to international students, but it is important to check with the specific school for their policies and deadlines. Additionally, American students may also be eligible for scholarships or loans through the US government or private organizations.