Discover All Isomers for C9H20: A Guide for Beginners

In summary, the conversation is about finding isomers for the chemical formula C9H20. The speaker is frustrated and asks for help. They have found six isomers so far: nonane, 2-methyloctane, 3-methyloctane, 4-methyloctane, and 2,2-dimethylheptane. They are having trouble keeping the methyl groups in the correct places and ask for more help.
peanutthrower
hey I am trying to figure out all the isomers for C9H20...im getting kind of frusterated so if anyone can help me find them or just tell me how thatd be awesome! thanx! :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
ok i have 6 so far...

-c-c-c-c-c-c-c-c-c nonane

c
l
-c-c-c-c-c-c-c-c- 2-methyloctane

c
l
-c-c-c-c-c-c-c-c- 3-methyloctane

c
l
-c-c-c-c-c-c-c-c- 4-methyloctane

c
l
-c-c-c-c-c-c-c- 2,2 dimethylheptane
l
c

hm...ok well its not letting me keep the methyls where they belong but i have them in the right places i think anyways, when i write it down on paper

Code:
-c-c-c-c-c-c-c-c-c  nonane

c
   |
-c-c-c-c-c-c-c-c-  2-methyloctane

c
      |
-c-c-c-c-c-c-c-c-    3-methyloctane

c
           |
-c-c-c-c-c-c-c-c-     4-methyloctane

c
     |
-c-c-c-c-c-c-c-        2,2 dimethylheptane
     |
     c

Use the [ code ] and [ / code ] tags next time.

oh ok i see thanx!

pleeeeeeease help me I am stuck! how do i find more of the isomers?

does anyone kno anymore?

1. What is the definition of an isomer?

An isomer is a compound that has the same molecular formula as another compound, but a different arrangement of atoms. This results in different physical and chemical properties.

2. How many isomers can exist for C9H20?

There are a total of 35 possible isomers for C9H20. This includes both structural isomers, which have different arrangements of atoms, and stereoisomers, which have the same arrangement but differ in the orientation of atoms in space.

3. How do you figure out all the isomers for C9H20?

To determine all the isomers for C9H20, you can use a combination of structural and stereoisomerism principles, including using different bond types (single, double, triple), branching, and geometric isomerism.

4. What are some common isomers for C9H20?

Some common isomers for C9H20 include nonane, 2-methyloctane, 3-methylheptane, 2,2-dimethyloctane, and 2,3-dimethylheptane. These isomers have different structural arrangements but the same molecular formula.

5. How do isomers affect the properties of a compound?

Isomers can have significantly different physical and chemical properties, even though they have the same molecular formula. This is due to their different arrangements of atoms, which can result in different functional groups and bonding patterns.