How can I prevent false triggering in a monostable 555 timer circuit?

In summary, the conversation is about a problem with a mono-stable 555 timer circuit that is triggering when connected to a 12V supply. The individual is seeking advice on how to prevent this and is considering using a decoupling capacitor and connecting the reset pin to the supply voltage. Other suggestions include using a smaller timing capacitor and adding transient suppression on the trigger input. There is also a debate about the use of a 1N001 diode in the circuit.
silentblackha
I am having trouble with a mono-stable 555 timer circuit.

When I connect this to a power supply (right now it is a 120VAC to 12VDC converter), the timer turns on and then off, like it would have if it was activated by the trigger. After this, when the trigger is used, everything works perfectly like it is supposed to.

I am trying to figure out how to stop the timer from triggering right when it is connected to a 12V supply; I only want it to turn on when the trigger is used.

I apologize for the crude schematic that isn't drawn properly:

555schem4545.jpg

Things to note:
- This will be installed in an automobile; the Remote Module is the ground connection that the remote module makes to sound the horn; right now its on a work bench
- The charging resistor is a 100K variable resistor that only has one end and the wiper connected.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you for your time!

Engineering news on Phys.org
silentblackha said:
I am having trouble with a mono-stable 555 timer circuit.

When I connect this to a power supply (right now it is a 120VAC to 12VDC converter), the timer turns on and then off, like it would have if it was activated by the trigger. After this, when the trigger is used, everything works perfectly like it is supposed to.

I am trying to figure out how to stop the timer from triggering right when it is connected to a 12V supply; I only want it to turn on when the trigger is used.

I apologize for the crude schematic that isn't drawn properly:

Things to note:
- This will be installed in an automobile; the Remote Module is the ground connection that the remote module makes to sound the horn; right now its on a work bench
- The charging resistor is a 100K variable resistor that only has one end and the wiper connected.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you for your time!

You're probably getting some transient output on start-up. You could try to put a capacitor between the output and ground (in parallel with the relay) which should snub this transient. The RC constant will just be the capacitance and the coil resistance. You could also put a resistor in series with this capacitor to better control the RC time constant (if it's too short). Unfortunately, this'll also delay the remote sequence (but chances are that this transient is much shorter than the actual operating pulse).

I found this advice,

"When the "RESET" terminal is not going to be used it is normal practice to connect this input to the supply voltage. This is especially true of the CMOS version of these timers as the inputs of these devices are very sensitive."

Though a transient on reset would pull the output low, wouldn't it?

Phrak said:
Though a transient on reset would pull the output low, wouldn't it?

Thank you. Yes, it would pull the output to low. I will tie this to the supplied voltage to be proper but I don't think this is the problem.

I will try the decoupling capacitor from + to ground and see if that fixes the problem. Thanks so far!

Tie a capacitor to the reset pin, other cap lead to ground. Then, tie the reset pin to +12V through a resistor. This holds the device in reset during power up.

You could try to put a capacitor between the output and ground (in parallel with the relay) which should snub this transient.

I wouldn't advise tying a capacitor between ANY output on ANY IC and ground. I think there are more design flaws putting capacitors where they shouldn't be than not putting them where they should be.
-
I also avoid using a bigger timing cap than necessary. The transistor inside the 555 has to discharge that monster. The more capacity you hang on pin 7 the more current it has to sink out of the cap when the output (pin 3) goes low. If nothing else, stick a couple of hundred ohms in series with pin 7.
-
As far as transient in general go, look to where they could be coming from. The biggest is the power supply, next would be the trigger input. You should also consider transient suppression on the trigger input.

Last edited:
connect the pin 4 to 12v then replace your 30 micro farad by .01 micro farad. I've tried it...

one thing, you should put 1N001 in the output pin before connecting to a relay so that the flow of current is one directional only.

Pay attention Jamers. The thread is about 2.5 years old. There is no 30 micro farad in the circuit, you didn't read my suggestion about what to do with pin 4. Really can't see the point of a 1N001 in series...

i mean 30 nano farad capacitor in the circuit ( pin 5). the purpose of 1n001 or the extra diod is to protect the 555ic when connecting it in relay to drive higher voltage. I've been using monostable circuit in my water vending machine and i don't have any problem in false triggering.

1. What is a 555 timer triggering problem?

A 555 timer triggering problem refers to an issue where the 555 timer, a commonly used integrated circuit in electronic circuits, fails to trigger or function properly.

2. What are the common causes of a 555 timer triggering problem?

The most common causes of a 555 timer triggering problem include incorrect wiring or connections, faulty components, incorrect values of resistors or capacitors, and incorrect power supply voltage.

3. How can I troubleshoot a 555 timer triggering problem?

To troubleshoot a 555 timer triggering problem, you can check the wiring and connections, test the components with a multimeter, ensure the correct values of resistors and capacitors are used, and confirm the power supply voltage is within the recommended range.

4. Can a 555 timer triggering problem be fixed?

Yes, a 555 timer triggering problem can usually be fixed by identifying and addressing the underlying cause. This may involve replacing faulty components, correcting wiring or connections, or adjusting the values of resistors and capacitors.

5. Are there any tips for preventing a 555 timer triggering problem?

To prevent a 555 timer triggering problem, make sure to carefully follow the circuit diagram and double-check all connections. Use quality components and ensure the correct values of resistors and capacitors are used. It is also important to use a stable power supply and avoid overloading the circuit.