What materials have high, mid-range, and low electron affinity and conductivity?

In summary, the conversation discusses different materials and their properties in terms of electron affinity and conductivity. The materials mentioned include one with a high electron affinity and good conductivity, one with a mid-range electron affinity and poor conductivity, and one with a low electron affinity and good conductivity. The speaker also mentions the importance of specifying the range of values when discussing these properties.
Archosaur
Can anyone name for me:

a] a material that has a HIGH electron affinity and is a GOOD conductor of electricity.

b] a material that has a MID-RANGE electron affinity and is a POOR conductor of electricity.

c] a material that has a LOW electron affinity and is a GOOD conductor of electricity.

Bonus points if you can guess what I'm going to do with these materials.

Physics news on Phys.org
These properties are VAGUE!

What do you mean by "high", "good", "poor", "low", and "midrange"? If you do not specify range of values, your "good" could easily be my "poor".

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
What do you mean by "high", "good", "poor", "low", and "midrange"?

I mean relative to each other.

Sorry for assuming you could have inferred that.

Archosaur said:
I mean relative to each other.

Sorry for assuming you could have inferred that.

Er.. how is that clear?

For example, look at your first criteria:

a material that has a HIGH electron affinity and is a GOOD conductor of electricity.

What am I comparing here if I'm doing this "relative to each other"? If I'm opening up the CRC Handbook, what am I comparing?

Zz.

I would say that relative to aluminum, silicone rubber has a high electron affinity and is a poor conductor.

1. What is a material properties challenge?

A material properties challenge is a scientific experiment or study that involves testing and analyzing the physical and chemical characteristics of a material. This can include properties such as strength, durability, conductivity, and more.

2. Why is studying material properties important?

Understanding the properties of different materials is crucial for a variety of industries, including manufacturing, construction, and engineering. It allows us to create more efficient and durable products, as well as find new applications for materials.

3. How do scientists measure material properties?

There are various techniques for measuring material properties, including mechanical testing, thermal analysis, spectroscopy, and microscopy. Scientists use specialized equipment and methods to gather data and analyze the results.

4. What are some factors that can affect material properties?

Material properties can be influenced by a variety of factors, such as temperature, pressure, humidity, and chemical exposure. Processing and manufacturing methods can also impact the properties of a material.

5. How can understanding material properties lead to advancements in technology?

By studying and manipulating material properties, scientists can develop new and improved materials that have a wide range of applications. This can lead to advancements in technology, from more efficient energy production to stronger and lighter materials for use in transportation and construction.