Need help coding with TI-89. Int{sin(x),x,0,inf}

• Calculators
  • Thread starter DyslexicHobo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coding Ti-89
In summary, if you need help coding with the TI-89 calculator, you can use the "Int" function to calculate the definite integral of sin(x) from 0 to infinity. This function takes in three arguments - the function to integrate, the variable of integration, and the lower and upper limits of integration. With the proper syntax and input, the TI-89 can quickly and accurately solve for the integral.
DyslexicHobo
I'm trying to code a laplace transform function into my calculator. Right now, I'm doing it by definition:
[tex]\int{e^{-st}*f(t)dt}[/tex] from 0 to [tex]\infty[/tex]

But whenever I try to use a transcendental function, it loops infinitely. I figured this is because the calculator cannot evaluate [tex]\int{sin(x)dx}[/tex] from 0 to [tex]\infty[/tex].

I'm not exactly sure how to the laplace transforms are derived for sin(x) and cos(x) using the definition, so I can't even code some sort of if statement to use a separate derivation.

Can anyone help? Thanks!

Computer science news on Phys.org
You need to write the sines and cosines as imaginary exponentials and then simplify to the familiar results as is done on this page:

http://cnyack.homestead.com/files/alaplace/lapfun1.htm

For your program this means you need to detect cases involving sines and cosines and have them automatically rewritten as exponentials.

Well, certainly, the TI-89 or any other calculator won't do it- that integral doesn't exist! The Laplace transform of sin(x) is, just as you state,
[tex]\int_0^\infty e^{-sx}sin(x)dx[/tex]
and it is that "[tex]e^{-sx}[/tex]" that makes it converge.

Oh sorry. I should have been more explicit. I'm defining s>0. That makes [tex]e^{-s*t}[/tex] converge, correct?

Or were you talking about sin(x) not converging as x->infinity?

I understand how to resolve imaginary numbers into their real and imaginary parts (we needed to learn this in order to understand some methods for solving differential equations), but I don't understand how to
write the sines and cosines as imaginary exponentials and then simplify to the familiar results

I'm really disappointed how little time we get to spend on the derivations of a lot of the formulas we use. I'm an engineering major so they cram Calc 2, calc 3 (linear algebra), diff eq into 2 semesters.

[tex]sin(x)= \frac{e^{ix}- e^{-ix}}{2i}[/itex]
so
[tex]\int sin(x)e^{-sx} dx= \frac{-i}{2}\int e^{(i-s)x}- e^{(-i-s)x}dx[/tex]

Though I think it would be much simpler just to integrate the original form using integration by parts.

But I do not understand why you are saying that you TI89 will not do that. Certainly what you put in your title, Int{sin(x),x,0,inf}, the TI89 cannot do because it does not exist, but with the exponential, it does exist.

Using integration by parts, won't the calculator eventually try to evaluate sin([tex]\infty[/tex]) and return undefined?

But if I have a statement in the code that converts sin(x) to [tex]\frac{e^{ix}-e^{-ix}}{2i}[/tex] then evaluate the limit after I integrate, it will work?

Edit: Oh, I see how it works! Thanks for your help. I completely forgot about that step in the process of resolving sin(x) into its real and imaginary components.

HallsofIvy said:
Well, certainly, the TI-89 or any other calculator won't do it- that integral doesn't exist! The Laplace transform of sin(x) is, just as you state,
[tex]\int_0^\infty e^{-sx}sin(x)dx[/tex]
and it is that "[tex]e^{-sx}[/tex]" that makes it converge.
I don't think I understand you here. We learned that [tex]L\{sin(bx)\} = \frac{b}{s^2+b^2}[/tex]

Is that not a mathematically sound definition? The class is "Math for engineering analysis" so I guess the teacher feels that we only need to know HOW to do it as opposed to how it's derived. It leaves me with a lot of questions, though. :(Edit: Oh, I see where some of the confusion could have been coming from. I meant to say "trigonometric" in the first post, not "transcendental".

Last edited:

1. What is a TI-89 calculator?

A TI-89 calculator is a graphing calculator produced by Texas Instruments. It is commonly used in mathematics and science courses to perform calculations, graph equations, and solve equations.

2. How do I enter equations into the TI-89 calculator?

To enter equations into the TI-89 calculator, you can use the "Y=" key to access the equation editor. From there, you can enter the equation using the keypad and use the arrow keys to navigate through the equation.

3. What does "Int{sin(x),x,0,inf}" mean?

The notation "Int{sin(x),x,0,inf}" is a definite integral, which represents the area under the curve of the function sin(x) from 0 to infinity. This means you are finding the total area under the curve of the function from 0 to infinity.

4. How do I use the integral function on the TI-89 calculator?

To use the integral function on the TI-89 calculator, you can use the "2nd" and "8" keys to access the "F3" menu. From there, you can select "Integrate" and enter the function, the variable of integration, and the limits of integration.

5. Can the TI-89 calculator solve indefinite integrals?

Yes, the TI-89 calculator can solve indefinite integrals. You can use the "2nd" and "8" keys to access the "F3" menu and select "Integrate." From there, enter the function and the variable of integration, leaving the limits of integration blank.