How Do You Calculate the Torque on a Spinning Disk?

In summary: So it would be (1.2)*(1/1000) = .0012In summary, a uniform solid disk with a mass of 0.7 kg and radius of 10 cm experiences a torque of 1.2 N when a force of 12 N is applied to it. The angular momentum at the given instant is 0.14 kg*m^2/s in the -z direction.
fball558
spinning disk torque?

Homework Statement

A uniform solid disk with radius 10 cm has mass 0.7 kg (moment of inertia I = ½MR2). A constant force 12 N is applied as shown. At the instant shown, the angular velocity of the disk is 40 radians/s in the -z direction (where +x is to the right, +y is up, and +z is out of the page, toward you). The length of the string d is 15 cm.

At this instant, what are the magnitude and direction of the angular momentum about the center of the disk?

What are the magnitude and direction of the torque on the disk, about the center of mass of the disk?

The Attempt at a Solution

i know both of these have a -z direction. for finding the angular momentum i used
(MR^2/2)W (.7*.1^2/2) * (2(pi)/40) = 5.498e-4
then to find torque i used RF where F is tension force got this by (M*F) = (.7*12) = 8.4
then R*(8.4) = .1*8.4 = .84
these are the wrong answers.
what did i do wrong??

Physics news on Phys.org

Do NOT multiply by the mass (.5kg). So, in short, multiply your final answer by 2 to get the correct one.

mrudkin said:
Do NOT multiply by the mass (.5kg). So, in short, multiply your final answer by 2 to get the correct one.

where did you get the mass of .5kg?? the mass in the problem is .7kg

i did that get the same answer as before. says I am wrong

here is what i did

L(rot) = Iw
I = 1/2MR^2 so 1/2*.7*.1^2 = .0035
w = 2(pi)/T where T = 40 so w = .1570796
Iw = 5.497787e-4
do you see anything wrong with this??

alrite for part a) L(rot) = Iw
w=40rad/s (given in problem)
I=.5*.7*.1^2=.0035
L=.0035*40=.14

sriceb01 said:
alrite for part a) L(rot) = Iw
w=40rad/s (given in problem)
I=.5*.7*.1^2=.0035
L=.0035*40=.14

OH.. ok
what i was doing was taking the 40rad/s
and using w = 2(pi)/T
so 2(pi)/40
then solving for that.

part b)

torque=abs(R)*abs(F)*sin(90)
=R*F*1=.1*12=1.2

should work

fball558 said:
OH.. ok
what i was doing was taking the 40rad/s
and using w = 2(pi)/T
so 2(pi)/40
then solving for that.

Common mistake

for part d.) isn't it Lf-Li where Li is part a.) and Lf is I * omega with the given time?

for part d) you multiply torque calculated in part c) by the change in time

1. What is spinning disk torque?

Spinning disk torque is the rotational force or moment that is generated when a disk or wheel rotates around an axis. It is caused by the angular acceleration of the spinning object and is measured in units of torque, such as newton-meters or pound-feet.

2. How is spinning disk torque calculated?

Spinning disk torque is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the disk by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied. This is known as the moment arm or lever arm. The resulting value is the torque exerted on the disk.

3. What factors affect spinning disk torque?

The main factors that affect spinning disk torque include the mass and distribution of the disk, the speed of rotation, and the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied. Other factors such as air resistance and friction can also play a role.

4. How is spinning disk torque used in real-world applications?

Spinning disk torque is used in a variety of real-world applications, including vehicles with wheels, machinery with rotating parts, and even amusement park rides. It is also important in sports like ice skating, where the skater's body acts as the spinning disk and the ice provides the friction needed for rotation.

5. What are some examples of everyday objects that use spinning disk torque?

Some common examples of everyday objects that use spinning disk torque include bicycles, ceiling fans, car wheels, and drills. Other examples include spinning tops, fidget spinners, and even the Earth, which rotates on its axis and generates torque that affects our daily lives.