Cosmology Book Suggestions: Upper Undergrad/Grad Level

In summary, the person is looking for a comprehensive introduction to cosmology at the upper undergrad or grad level and is open to suggestions. They have already taken out Narlikar's book but would like other recommendations. The conversation suggests the following books: Dodelson's Modern Cosmology, Kolb & Turner's The Early Universe, Weinberg's Cosmology, Mukhanov's Physical Foundations of Cosmology, Liddle's An Introduction to Modern Cosmology, Carroll's Introduction to Modern Astrophysics, and Jones' An Introduction to Galaxies and Cosmology. The person also asks about which books have new enough editions to discuss dark matter and dark energy, and the responder suggests checking the publishers' websites or a site like
nicksauce
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I'm looking for a comprehensive introduction to cosmology at the upper undergrad or grad level. Any suggestions? I took out Narlikar's (An introduction to cosmology) book from the library, and it looks alright, but I would like some suggestions on other books as well.

Physics news on Phys.org
A couple of suggestions:

Dodelson, Modern Cosmology;
Kolb & Turner, The Early Universe;.
Weinberg, Cosmology

Physical Foundations of Cosmology - Mukhanov

An Introduction to Modern Cosmology - Liddle (quite short book)

Introduction to Modern Astrophysics - Carroll (Big book which also contains physics of galaxies and stars) Quite cheep if you get paperback, good reference for all astrophyiscs.

An Introduction to Galaxies and Cosmology - Jones (cheap in paperback, contains also physics of galaxies, good introduction book)

Thanks for the suggestions. Out of curiosity, which of these have new enough editions to discuss dark matter and dark energy?

All of them are new enough, but not all of them have the approach that they discuss why these features are needed etc. e.g. Physical Foundations of Cosmology - Mukhanov is more of a book going through the physics to research in cosmology, not so much about observations etc.

You can go to e.g. amazon, and the publishers websites to read their table of contents, or try to find them in your library.

All the books I listed I either own or have used, and I am quite content with them :-)

The 'newest' books on cosmology is Weinbergs and the oxford companion to cosmology (should be available at paperback)

http://www.oup.com/uk/catalogue/?ci=9780199560844

http://www.oup.com/uk/catalogue/?ci=9780198526827

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is cosmology?

Cosmology is the scientific study of the origin, evolution, and structure of the universe. It combines principles from physics, astronomy, and mathematics to understand the universe on a large scale.

2. What topics are typically covered in a cosmology book at the upper undergraduate or graduate level?

Some common topics covered in cosmology books at this level include the Big Bang theory, dark matter and dark energy, galaxy formation and evolution, the cosmic microwave background, and the large-scale structure of the universe.

3. Are there any recommended textbooks for upper undergraduate or graduate level cosmology courses?

Yes, there are several highly recommended textbooks for cosmology courses at this level. Some popular choices include "Cosmology" by Steven Weinberg, "An Introduction to Modern Cosmology" by Andrew Liddle, and "The Early Universe" by Edward Kolb and Michael Turner.

4. Are there any cosmology books that are accessible to non-scientists or beginners?

Yes, there are some cosmology books written for a general audience that are still informative and interesting for non-scientists or beginners. Some examples include "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking, "The Fabric of the Cosmos" by Brian Greene, and "Cosmos" by Carl Sagan.

5. How can I stay up-to-date with the latest developments in cosmology?

One way to stay up-to-date with the latest developments in cosmology is to read scientific journals and publications, such as "Nature", "Science", and "The Astrophysical Journal". Attending conferences and lectures by experts in the field is also a great way to stay informed.