Group Theory/Set Theory/Discrete Math books?

In summary, there is a fourth-year mechanical engineering student who is interested in mathematics, but feels that their foundation is weak due to dropping out of high school. While they can do algebra, trigonometry, and calculus, they lack a deep understanding of the fundamentals of math and are struggling with symbols and concepts in linear algebra. It has been suggested that they look into introductory books on group theory, set theory, and discrete math. Some recommended options include "An Introduction to Set Theory" by J.A. Kunkle and "Discrete Mathematics" by László Lovász, József Pelikán, and Katalin Vesztergombi. It is also suggested to read "How to Study
Saladsamurai
:smile: Hello Merry Friends! Here is my situation:

I am a fourth-year mechanical engineering student. I am very interested in mathematics though. I feel like my mathematical foundation in quite weak though. I dropped out of high school long ago. And so, though I have maintained a perfect score in all of my college maths, there are many fundamental gaps that are missing.

I can do algebra and I can do trig and calculus. What I lack is a deep understanding of the fundamentals of math. I have recently been trying to teach myself linear algebra and have realized that I have never seen symbols like [itex]\in\text{ or }\cup\text{ or }\cap[/itex] before. Words like "sets" and "union" and "intersection" I have to repeatedly look up on wiki.

It has been suggested that I look into some introductory Group Theory/Set Theory/Discrete Math books.

What do you recommend? Pretend that I am a early High School student and I have no theoretical background in math. I can only 'go through the motions' of basic algebra.

What do you suggest? Thanks! :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
This one

https://www.amazon.com/dp/3540761780/?tag=pfamazon01-20

set-theory, proofs, complex numers, linear algebra, group theory, series, introduction to analysis. Exaples and solutions. Cheap, good reviews. Perfect for someone who wants to learn "real" math.

This one I can personally recommend, since I have learned the stuf from this one, does not contain as many topcs, but focus on Discrete mathematics:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/3540761772/?tag=pfamazon01-20

also this one might be of interest?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0071470387/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:

What is Group Theory?

Group Theory is a branch of mathematics that studies the algebraic structures known as groups. It deals with the fundamental properties of symmetry and transformation, and is used to analyze and understand various phenomena in physics, chemistry, and other fields.

What is Set Theory?

Set Theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of sets, which are collections of objects. It provides a foundation for all of mathematics and is used to define and analyze the concepts of infinity, functions, and other important mathematical concepts.

What is Discrete Math?

Discrete Math is a branch of mathematics that deals with discrete structures, which are sets of distinct objects. It is used in computer science, cryptography, and other fields to analyze and solve problems that involve discrete objects and structures.

What are some popular books on Group Theory?

Some popular books on Group Theory include "Abstract Algebra" by David S. Dummit and Richard M. Foote, "Group Theory: An Intuitive Approach" by R. Mirman, and "Algebra: Chapter 0" by Paolo Aluffi.

What are some popular books on Set Theory?

Some popular books on Set Theory include "Set Theory: An Introduction to Independence Proofs" by Kenneth Kunen, "Introduction to Set Theory" by Hrbacek and Jech, and "Naive Set Theory" by Paul R. Halmos.