Do I Need More CPU Thermal Paste?

In summary: Regarding isopropyl alcohol, I think 97% used to be availble decades ago at pharmacies, but I did a web search for it and don't find any hits.I'm not sure if I would advise using a leafblower. Although I've done this a few times myself, it was more of a note that it's possible rather than a recommendation. I did this with the case sides off. I didn't see any residual dust anywhere. Initally I tested on an opened power supply, then I tried it on opened desktop cases. You need to make sure there isn't anything that could be damaged from the high speed flow, like loosely connected wires or any debris of significant size.Also I would avoid over-
minger
Science Advisor
I just installed a new power supply for my desktop last night. In the process I needed to remove the CPU heat sink. With no thermal paste on hand, I just reassembled the heat sink. The question is simply do I need to clean the CPU and reapply thermal paste since the heat sink was unseated?

Computer science news on Phys.org
You probably should, the thermal paste is designed to fill in the air gaps between the sink and the chip and taking it apart probably unsettled it quite a fair bit.

Unless you want to fry your CPU, you need to have some kind of thermal compound between the die and the heat sink. Unless of course you have a lapped heat spreader, then you don't need to worry about it.

If you apply thermal paste, make sure its a very thin layer. Did you remove the thermal pad that was there originally?

Definitely clean it and apply more paste. I only use an amount about the size of a grain of rice, then spread it evenly with a credit card or something like it. Unless both your processor and heatsink are considerably off from completely flat, it only takes just a little bit of grease. Less than you think.

Keep in mind that the thermal paste doesn't last forever, even if you never unseat the CPU...it will need to be re-applied in a couple years or so

What is commonly used to remove the old stuff?

(right now the box is sitting right under by my A/C unit so I'm not too worried for the time being)

minger said:

(right now the box is sitting right under by my A/C unit so I'm not too worried for the time being)

ArctiClean
http://www.arcticsilver.com/instructions.htm

minger said:

I always use regular old rubbing alcohol. It's cheap, removes every last speck, and leaves no residue.

B. Elliott said:
I always use regular old rubbing alcohol. It's cheap, removes every last speck, and leaves no residue.
Some rubbing alcohols have oils. You can get 91% or higher isopropyl alcohol from most pharmacies.

Last edited:
Jeff Reid said:
Some rubbing alcohols have oils. You can get 91% or higher isopropyl alcohol from most pharmacies.

It depends on what you intend to do with it. 91% is perfect for what we're talking about here.

Jeff Reid said:
B. Elliott said:
It depends on what you intend to do with it. 91% is perfect for what we're talking about here.
Rubbing alcohol (70%) typically has some oil in it. 91% isopropyl alcohol typically only has water. I've seen higher percentages in the past at pharmacies, but not recently.

On a side note, I recently discovered that (electric) leaf blowers do a good job of removing dust from a computer.

Jeff Reid said:
Rubbing alcohol (70%) typically has some oil in it. 91% isopropyl alcohol typically only has water. I've seen higher percentages in the past at pharmacies, but not recently.

On a side note, I recently discovered that (electric) leaf blowers do a good job of removing dust from a computer.

91% is the highest I've seen since I've been paying attention. If you want to spend a few extra dollars you could go ahead and get anhydrous isopropanol which is 99% pure...

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=341-407

I'm not sure if I would advise using a leafblower. With a leaf blower large amounts of air along with small bits of dust and debris are blown onto the motherboards surface which can cause static buildup. With small compressed air cans, there's no high velocity debris to worry about and you can more easily spot-clean needed areas.

B. Elliott said:
I'm not sure if I would advise using a leafblower.
Although I've done this a few times myself, it was more of a note that it's possible rather than a recommendation. I did this with the case sides off. I didn't see any residual dust anywhere. Initally I tested on an opened power supply, then I tried it on opened desktop cases. You need to make sure there isn't anything that could be damaged from the high speed flow, like loosely connected wires or any debris of significant size. Also I would avoid over-revving any fans with the air stream.

Regarding isopropyl alcohol, I think 97% used to be availble decades ago at pharmacies, but I did a web search for it and don't find any hits. You can get 95% ethanol mixed with various toxic chemicals at some stores, and 99% isopropyl at some stores or online.

1. Why do I need more CPU thermal paste?

CPU thermal paste is a necessary component for proper heat transfer between the CPU and the heatsink. It helps to fill in any microscopic gaps and imperfections on the surface of the CPU and heatsink, allowing for better heat dissipation and preventing overheating.

2. How often should I replace the CPU thermal paste?

It is recommended to replace the CPU thermal paste every 1-2 years, as it can dry out and lose its effectiveness over time. However, if you notice a significant decrease in performance or higher temperatures, it may be necessary to replace it sooner.

3. Can I reuse old thermal paste?

It is not recommended to reuse old thermal paste. Once it has been applied and removed, it can lose its ability to effectively transfer heat and may contain particles or debris that can damage the CPU.

4. How much thermal paste should I apply?

The general rule of thumb is to apply a pea-sized amount of thermal paste on the center of the CPU. Too much paste can actually hinder heat transfer and cause overheating.

5. What if I accidentally apply too much thermal paste?

If you have accidentally applied too much thermal paste, you can carefully clean it off with isopropyl alcohol and a lint-free cloth. Be sure to reapply a proper amount of thermal paste before reattaching the heatsink.