Integral over an arbitrary surface

In summary, the conversation discusses a student's confusion regarding an integral over an arbitrary surface and its resulting value of 4pi radians. After receiving guidance from others, the student realizes their mistake and learns that the integral represents the solid angle of the surface with respect to the origin. They also reference a helpful resource for further understanding.
Starproj
Hi,

I am studying a section on mass flux and have come across the following integral over an arbitrary surface. I am told that the integral equals 4pi radians. Can someone direct me to a proof of this and explain why the denominator (r2) drops out?

Thanks!

Attachments

• massflux.JPG
    massflux.JPG
    6.5 KB · Views: 605
Physics news on Phys.org
Essentially, that integral, due to the 1/r^2-factor in the integrand becomes independent of the local radius, and equals therefore the value of the solid angle the surface represents with respect to the origin. That again equals 4pi.

There is a nice explanation of this in "Mathematical methods for physicists" by Arfken and Weber section 1.14 page 79. This is also known as Gauss' law in electromagnetism.

I am not seeing something, for I get the integral to be zero, not 4pi. I have attached my work - can anyone spot where I am going wrong?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Solution.JPG
    Solution.JPG
    17.5 KB · Views: 696
You are at a SURFACE.

You are required TWO angular variables, not just one.

Go back and read some more..

I caught the mistake where the limits of integration for theta are 0 to pi, not 2pi. But that doesn't eliminate the integer value of cosine, giving zero.

This may be a little above my level, which is why I am so frustrated. I think the book just wanted me to "take their word for it." I would really appreciate some help. Is there an error in my substitutions in the calculus? Why can't I get this to work out?

You are mixing two different thetas. When you are integrating on a sphere, n is parallel to g, so cos(theta) is one because this theta is zero. To see why this theorem holds for arbitrary surfaces you should check out the reference I gave.

1. What is the definition of an integral over an arbitrary surface?

An integral over an arbitrary surface is a mathematical concept used to calculate the total value of a function over a specific surface in three-dimensional space. It involves dividing the surface into small, infinitesimal pieces and summing up the values of the function at each point.

2. How is an integral over an arbitrary surface different from an integral over a curve?

An integral over an arbitrary surface is a generalization of an integral over a curve. While an integral over a curve involves calculating the area under a curve in one dimension, an integral over an arbitrary surface involves calculating the volume under a function in three dimensions.

3. What is the formula for calculating an integral over an arbitrary surface?

The formula for calculating an integral over an arbitrary surface is ∫∫S f(x,y,z) dS, where S represents the surface, f(x,y,z) is the function being integrated, and dS is the infinitesimal element of surface area.

4. What are some real-life applications of integrals over arbitrary surfaces?

Integrals over arbitrary surfaces are used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, fluid dynamics, and computer graphics. For example, they can be used to calculate the mass and center of mass of a three-dimensional object or to determine the flow rate of a fluid through a specific surface.

5. Are there any special techniques for solving integrals over arbitrary surfaces?

Yes, there are various techniques for solving integrals over arbitrary surfaces, such as using parametric equations or converting the integral into a double integral over a region in the xy-plane. Additionally, computer software and numerical methods can also be used to approximate the value of the integral.