Troubleshooting: Why You Can't Create a Folder Named 'con' | Expert Tips

• Thread starter johncena
  • Start date
In summary, creating a folder with the name 'con' is not possible due to historical features in the way DOS was written. Similarly, other names like com1: and lpt1: cannot be used for file names. However, by using the key combination Alt+0160, an invisible space can be inserted in the name, allowing for the folder to be accessed through the GUI. However, this may cause issues with software not being able to find the folder unless the ALT+0160 character is included in the filename reference.
johncena
Can't create folder !

Why we can't create a folder with name 'con' ?

Computer science news on Phys.org

Because the console (ie keyboard + screen) is called con: and because of some historical features in the way DOS was written you can't have a file with the same name.
You also can't have a file called com1: lpt1: and a couple of others

But sir,
After typing 'con' if we type '0160' holding Alt ...we can create the folder ...how is it happening ?

Alt+0160 inserts an invisible space character. You will be able to access this folder through the GUI, but software will not be able to find it unless you remember to include the ALT+0160 character in the filename reference.

1. Why can't I create a folder named 'con'?

Creating a folder named 'con' is not possible due to a legacy issue in the Windows operating system. 'con' is a reserved keyword that is used for referring to the console, and therefore, cannot be used as a folder name.

2. Can I work around this issue and still create a folder named 'con'?

No, there is no known workaround for this issue. The only solution is to use a different name for your folder.

3. Are there any other reserved keywords that I should be aware of when creating folder names?

Yes, there are several other reserved keywords in Windows that cannot be used as folder names, such as 'prn', 'aux', 'nul', and 'lpt'. It is best to avoid using any of these keywords in your folder names to prevent any potential issues.

4. Can I use these reserved keywords in other ways, such as adding a prefix or suffix to them?

No, adding a prefix or suffix to a reserved keyword will not work. The entire keyword, including any variations in capitalization, is reserved and cannot be used in any way for folder names.

5. Is this issue specific to Windows, or does it apply to other operating systems as well?

This issue is specific to Windows. Other operating systems may have their own set of reserved keywords for different purposes, but 'con' is unique to Windows.