Does PhD Prestige Matter for Professor Jobs? Insights from Industry Experience

In summary: Ph.D. matters when looking for a job as a professor. However, if you have worked in industry for a few years and published papers, the name of the university won't be as important. She also says that the ability to get grant money is important, and that working at a place like NASA can help you build connections to the academic world.
JD88
So I have heard that the prestige of the school you get your phd matters a lot when trying to get a job as a professor at a university. Would that still apply if you work in research for a number of years outside of the university before you try to become a professor.

For example I am going to get my phd in either mech or aerospace engineering and I could possilbly go to a university that is ranked 30 or so even if i were to get into a higher ranked program because the lower rank has research that I am very interested in. Then after I get my phd I go and work for say NASA for a few years. Would the fact that I did not got to a top 10 school matter so much if I then tried to get a job as a professor? Are there any complications with trying to go from somewhere such as NASA to a university?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Where did you hear this and is it based on any actual evidence?

The fact of the matter is that the prestige of the university doesn't matter nearly so much as the quality of work that you do and the prestige of the journals you publish in. The advantages provided by the "top" schools come down to funding and opportunities, but if you slack off and doo just enough work to graduate you can't expect the name of the institution to do any work for you.

The issue with trying to become a professor after working in industry for a few years largely comes down to one of academic productivity. Industrial research often does not result in publications and gives you little teaching experience. So when you're competing for a tenure-track position you'll have a pool of candidates who've remained in academia and have those publications. On the other hand, I would think that in the engineering disciplines, industrial exposure would likely count for something.

Thanks for the reply.

I have no evidence to back up what I said about the prestige mattering, it is only something that I have heard from other people.

I spent the summer doing research at NASA and they are not really typical industry. The people I worked with published a lot of papers so I don't see that being a problem if you work somewhere similar, but not having teaching experience is a good point.

Thanks again.

NASA is a great place. Awesome mission IMO. I lived in Florida for a long time and still know some of the folks at Universities that work with NASA and the associated research institutions. If you want to go into the corporate world and then back into academics you need to maintain your connections to the academic world. If you have a research oriented corporate position and do some journal publishing that would be a good strategy. Also, your ability to be appointed to a University as a professor depends a lot on how much research grant money you can get. And a place like NASA gives you a good source of contacts for building the ability to get grants.

Dr. Dan

1. What is the difference between industry and a university?

Industry and university are two distinct entities with different goals and functions. Industry refers to the sector that is involved in the production of goods or provision of services for commercial purposes. On the other hand, a university is an educational institution that offers a variety of academic programs, conducts research, and promotes knowledge and learning.

2. How can industry and universities collaborate?

Industry and universities can collaborate through partnerships, sponsorships, research collaborations, and internships. These collaborations allow for the sharing of knowledge, resources, and expertise between the two entities, leading to mutual benefits and advancements in both industry and academia.

3. What are the benefits of industry-university collaborations?

There are several benefits to collaborations between industry and universities, such as access to cutting-edge research and technology, opportunities for students to gain practical experience, potential for funding and investments, and the potential for real-world applications of academic research.

4. How do industry-university collaborations impact the economy?

Industry-university collaborations have a significant impact on the economy. By working together, industry and universities can drive innovation, create job opportunities, and contribute to economic growth. These collaborations also lead to the development of new products, services, and technologies that can have a positive impact on the market and society.

5. What are some successful examples of industry-university collaborations?

There have been many successful examples of industry-university collaborations, such as the partnership between Google and Stanford University, which resulted in the development of Google search engine and other technologies. Another example is the collaboration between Pfizer and the University of California, San Francisco, which led to the discovery of a new drug for treating HIV.