Photodiode's legs to both the input for a differential amplifier

In summary, you have an op-amp connected to a photodiode to measure the current, and then connect the photodiode's output to a resistor to convert it to voltage. You then connect the resistor to an ammeter to measure the voltage.
cks
Hihi,

I put a photodiode's legs to both the input for a differential amplifier

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Op..._Amplifier.svg

Then, the voltage difference of the photodiode is amplified and its output is then connected to a resistor which is not shown in the above picture. The purpose I put a resistor is to convert the voltage output to current. Then, I connect in series of the output from the resistor to an ammeter to obtain the current. After which, the other end of ammeter is connected to ground.

May I ask, If I put one end of the ammeter to the ground and the other end to the resistor, will the system works, because from my high school knowledge of electric circuit, current flows only when a closed loop is formed, but I didn't see any closed loop here.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Often, the photodiode is put in series with a battery (photoconductive mode) and the current measured with an opamp in the current-measuring mode. For a solid state photodiode, the reverse bias is a few volts. For example, the negative end of a battery is connected to ground, and the positive end connected to the cathode of the photodiode 9reverse biased). The anode is connected to the op-amp inverting input, and the positive input of opamp tied to ground (inverting configuration). See second illustration in (inverting amplifier)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operat...ations#Negative_impedance_converter_.28NIC.29
Photodiode replaces Rin resistor. Choose Rf resistor so that the expected photodiode current produces about 1 volt drop across it.
If you are using a vacuum photodiode (e.g., 935), the bias is usually 50 to 100 volts (or more), and the anode is tied to the + end of battery, and the cathode (light sensitive electrode) tied to the op amp inverting input.

If I understand the OP correctly, you do have a complete loop. Remember, when using a multimeter as an ammeter, the ammeter itself is part of your circuit. However, you must be physically pluged into the ammeter part of you multimeter (usually yellow) and your dial must be set to be an ammeter. Remember, you ammeter has a fuse in it that might already be blown.

1. What is a photodiode?

A photodiode is a type of semiconductor device that converts light into an electrical current. It is commonly used in electronic circuits and devices that involve sensing, detecting, or measuring light.

2. What are the legs of a photodiode used for?

The legs of a photodiode are used to connect the device to a circuit. One leg is typically connected to the positive terminal of a power supply, while the other leg is connected to the negative terminal. This allows for the flow of electrical current through the photodiode when light is detected.

3. How does a photodiode's legs connect to both the input for a differential amplifier?

The legs of a photodiode can be connected to both the input for a differential amplifier by connecting one leg to the non-inverting input and the other leg to the inverting input. This allows for the differential amplifier to measure the difference in voltage between the two legs, which is directly proportional to the amount of light detected by the photodiode.

4. What is the purpose of using a differential amplifier with a photodiode?

A differential amplifier is used with a photodiode to amplify and accurately measure the small electrical current generated by the photodiode in response to light. This amplification allows for more precise detection and measurement of light levels.

5. Can a photodiode be used without a differential amplifier?

Yes, a photodiode can be used without a differential amplifier in simple circuits that do not require precise measurement of light levels. In these cases, the output from the photodiode can be directly connected to other components in the circuit, such as LEDs or transistors.