Use command-line OS at BC. Get your PCs confiscated.

• Thread starter turbo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Os
In summary, a Boston College student's computers, drives, storage devices, and other personal items were seized by police during a search on March 30th. The student, who is proficient in using an operating system without a graphical interface, has been suspended from his job pending an investigation. The state police are examining the student's personal documents and information without probable cause, in search of evidence for unsupported criminal allegations. In a similar case, the FBI has impounded all computers at a data center and even the personal devices of an employee listed as the admin contact. This raises concerns about the violation of personal privacy in the legal system, as exemplified by the bio of the FBI expert in charge of the case. The use of Linux and other
turbo
Gold Member
I don't know how this one got under my radar. A Boston College student's computers, drives, storage devices, etc were seized so that investigators could examine them for evidence linking him to an email. The "probable cause"? The student was proficient in the use of an OS without resorting to a graphical interface. Linux users, beware.

During its March 30th search, police seized (among other things) the computer science major's computers, storage drives, cell phone, iPod Touch, flash drives, digital camera, and Ubuntu Linux CD. None of these items have been returned. He has been suspended from his job pending the investigation. His personal documents and information are in the hands of the state police who continue to examine it without probable cause, searching for evidence to support unsupportable criminal allegations.

http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2009/04/boston-college-prompt-commands-are-suspicious

Computer science news on Phys.org
Could be worse.
Have your company's website hosted in the same facility as somebody that may owe ATT for a phone bill?
No problem the FBI will happily impound all the computers at the building. And if you are listed as the admin contact for any of the servers they will be around to impound all your home computers and your daughters's iPod as well.
http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2009/04/data-centers-ra/

Hardly surprising when this is the bio of the FBI expert in charge of the case
"The way I ended up in Cybercrime is not all that glamorous ... In 1998, when we formed the Dallas regional squad, the powers that be asked if anyone knew anything more about computers then how to turn the power on. I raised my hand up and said that I played a lot of computer games and had put together PC's so that I could have a better gaming experience and the rest is history. "

The legal system in the US has morphed into something where personal privacy can be violated at will. When I was fired because I complained when my employer violated our contract agreement, I tried to negotiate with the jerk, and eventually had to sue him for the back-pay, and for wrongful termination. He retaliated by counter-suing for $650,000 claiming that I was trying to destroy his business and had cost him millions in consignments. I had lain very low, and on the advice of my lawyers had not contacted any former clients, so the jerk got some of his cronies to provide 2nd and 3rd-hand hearsay "evidence", and a compliant judge required me to submit my PC and all storage devices for "imaging" and provide web-addresses for all accounts in which I might have personal information or data.

This gave my former boss (for whom I had made over $4M net over the previous 3 years) access to everything on my computers. Personal finances, emails, letters, insurance records, retirement accounts...everything. My lawyers said that the data-acquisition folks were neutral and reputable and my personal info was safe. I am skeptical, though. How much money would the jerk have to offer to get copies of those hard-drives and let his lawyers' agents pore them for incriminating data? Lots of us have substantial amounts of personal information on our computers, and I guarantee you'll feel raped if that is put into the hands of another person based on an impersonal court-order.

Oh dear. I use linux, worst of all I use awesome window manager (it's a tiling wm) with black background and white text (some colour outputs as well), usually with a lot of text scrolling everywhere. I am going to be arrested for sure. Lucky this is just a desktop, I guess they can still accuse me of hacking or something.

Focus said:
Oh dear. I use linux, worst of all I use awesome window manager (it's a tiling wm) with black background and white text (some colour outputs as well), usually with a lot of text scrolling everywhere. I am going to be arrested for sure. Lucky this is just a desktop, I guess they can still accuse me of hacking or something.
Unless they find a piece of mal-ware that you picked up surfing eBay or something. Then, you will be accused of developing and spreading it.

What is a command-line operating system?

A command-line operating system is a type of computer operating system that uses text commands to perform tasks and interact with the system, as opposed to a graphical user interface (GUI) which uses icons and menus.

Why would using a command-line OS at BC result in PCs being confiscated?

Using a command-line OS at BC goes against the school's policies and can be seen as a security risk. It allows users to access and modify system files and settings, which can potentially compromise the security and stability of the network.

What are some examples of command-line operating systems?

Some examples of command-line operating systems include Linux, Unix, and MS-DOS. These systems are often used by developers, engineers, and IT professionals due to their flexibility and efficiency.

Is it possible to use a command-line OS at BC without getting PCs confiscated?

No, it is not possible to use a command-line OS at BC without risking the confiscation of PCs. The school has strict policies in place to ensure the security and stability of their network, and using a command-line OS goes against those policies.

Are there any alternatives to using a command-line OS at BC?

Yes, there are alternatives to using a command-line OS at BC. Many modern operating systems, such as Windows and Mac OS, have built-in command-line interfaces that can be used for specific tasks. Additionally, there are GUI-based programs and tools that can emulate the functionality of a command-line OS.