Unusual tolerances and weird reactions.

In summary, the person has a strange reaction to a variety of drugs, and is curious about what could be wrong.
bsrb13
i know no one can diagnose me on here, I'm just looking for opinions and maybe guidance to things to research.

my body has a strange way with medicine. 98% of the drugs I've taken (legal and otherwise...) don't work as they are supposed to. i usually have to take a double or triple dose to get the same effects as my sister does on a normal dose. even hard stuff...in the hospital, the morphine didn't work. the other time in the hospital, i think it worked, but i was on other painkillers too, so i couldn't tell. i know even then the others didn't do their full job.

my epidural worked for the most part, but when it was time for my c-section, the numbing meds they gave me for surgery didn't work. i had to be put under completely. that was fun.

the other weird things are this...i can take down a big tumbler of moonshine and not feel a thing (in perspective, i outdrank a man bigger than me, a man who regulary drinks) caffiene makes me sleepy, as do energy drinks. i drank a monster once (a big can) and was ready for a nap. i once did yellow jackets and red bull and was ready for a good sleep afterwards. no hyperness came out of it all.

someone once told me the monster thing ment i had ADD, but i have no other symptoms of it.

anyone have any clue? I'm mostly curious, not concerned. every doctor I've talked to about it thinks I'm just a drug addict who has a high tolerance from doing drugs all of the time, and that's not the case. I've been this way since i could remember. I've always wondered what could be wrong with me, but i never tried terribly hard to find out. it's never hurt me and I've gotten quite a kick out taking advantage of being able to outdrink someone (all in fun) or demonstrating how this drug will not do a thing to me whereas you will trip hard, lol.

Biology news on Phys.org
The liver is involved with the metabolism of all those things you mention.

i knew it was for some of it.

wonder what kind of liver problems it could me. yay research

Everyone's metabolism is different, and dosages are usually based upon a median response. I used to have to take 12 222's for a headache. When I had my hernia surgery, they gave me a couple of Demerols (more often than necessary). I found out that 3 ibuprophens have the same pain-killing potential of both. (And I take pain-killers only for headaches.) Any other kind of pain doesn't bother me enough to take anything. I once had to play a whole baseball tournament with a broken finger, and I was fine.
I'm on my 16th (Canadian) beer, and feel absolutely alert (I wish to hell that I didn't, because I want to go to bed and I'm not tired). I've imbibed a lot more than that in the past, with minimal effect. If I take one hoot from a doobie, though, I'm totally screwed up for at least a couple of days.
My mother was kind of cross-wired, but in a different manner. When a dentist gave her novocane as a gum injection for a procedure, her legs went numb but she could still feel everything in her mouth. When they injected a local for rebuilding her shattered wrist (about a dozen pieces that had to be strung on a wire), she went to sleep.
As for your epidural... my mother got bored and fell asleep during labour (without any drugs being administered). When she woke up and saw me, her first words to the medical staff were "What the hell am I supposed to do with that?" :rolleyes:
Seriously, make sure that you consult with your physician about any possible effects or side-effects before taking part in any procedures. Make sure that s/he knows about your unusual reactions.

wow i feel bad for your mom, lol.

i usually don't take meds unless it's for a headach, but none really work, so i don't bother.

3 ibuprofens wouldn't faze me a bit...neither would a pint of vodka. pot makes me sleepy, but i don't get all of the good side effects i keep hearing about, lol.

i've tried talking to the doctors about what's wrong with me, but they assume I'm a druggie or alcoholic. i was worried about my tubal surgery, you know, waking up in the middle of it or something not working and tried to tell the dude putting me to sleep, but he just blew me off. thankfully nothing went wrong, as far as i know.

when i got one of my bills for my c-section, i noticed the drug to put me to sleep was on there twice. my husband said it was normal, and i have no idea about that kinda of stuff. a rather frightening thought that i could've woken up at any point /:

bsrb13 said:
wow i feel bad for your mom, lol.
Is that because of her aneasthetic responses, or for having me as a son?

bsrb13 said:
I usually don't take meds unless it's for a headach, but none really work, so i don't bother.
There's another technique available, which works incredibly well. I've had it done upon me, and I've done it to others. Some people think that it's hazardous, though, so I don't recommend it. I will, however, explain it. It's called a 'medular massage'. The person administering it grabs you about the neck from behind, as if about to strangle you, inserts both thumbs into the gap where your skull connects to your spine, and then attempts to pick you up with his thumbs. It tweaks your brain into firing out a blast of endorphins. Although I have done this dozens of times with the proper effect, including the intantaneous negation of blinding migraines, someone with a background in medicine informed me that it should result in paralysis. While that has never happened in my experience, I have to take that possibility seriously enough to not suggest that anyone try it.

bsrb13 said:
I tried talking to the doctors about what's wrong with me, but they assume I'm a druggie or alcoholic. i was worried about my tubal surgery, you know, waking up in the middle of it or something not working and tried to tell the dude putting me to sleep, but he just blew me off. thankfully nothing went wrong, as far as i know.

when i got one of my bills for my c-section, i noticed the drug to put me to sleep was on there twice. my husband said it was normal, and i have no idea about that kinda of stuff. a rather frightening thought that i could've woken up at any point /:

Might I assume that you live in the US? Don't worry; Obama will soon have your health care system up to the standards of ours and you won't have to worry about **** like that.

Last edited:
lol i was talking about her aneasthetic responses.

i've read about massages in certain places of the head, but never heard of this one. i have migrains bad enough to make me consider paralyses. i usually don't cry or back down from pain, but with headaches, i drop like a rock. i hate it. even strong prescription meds don't work on me. granted they weren't mine, but they were for a man much bigger than me, so i thought they might help. they didn't faze me, even when i took twice the normal amount /:

i don't know if he will change things. where i live, there are so many drug addicts going to the doctor's for pain meds, and all of that good stuff, people like me can't get the treatment they need. i rarely go to the doc's anyway. last time i went (aside from surgery) my husband talked me into going to the ER for one of my headaches. i won't do that again...the medicine they gave me was almost worse than the headach. that was about a year ago. before that, I've never been for anything since i was small. except pregnancy stuff, of course.

Danger said:
Might I assume that you live in the US? Don't worry; Obama will soon have your health care system up to the standards of ours and you won't have to worry about **** like that.

Oh yeah, because under Obama, no one will ever make a mistake. Gotta love it. As if under your system there are never any errors, mistakes or downright corruption.

Oh don't get huffy. Obama might make it better, he might make it worse, we won't know til it happens. If we had universal healthcare, i might be able to go to the doctor's now when i really need to, instead of waiting for a huge, emergency worthy sign that i need to go.

Corrpution and errors exist in any system. There are just fewer in some systems and more in others.

Last edited:
caffeine has long been known as a way to calm down hyperactive children.

I've never been a hyper person. I'm rather lazy and slow usually. I get jittery when i have a big dose of caffine if i haven't eaten all day and I've beem smoking cigarettes.

I've tried cutting back my caffine, but then i can't sleep, not to mention the withdrawel headaches

Bsrb13 (I am henceforth going to call you Barb for the sake of brevity; I'm a lazy typist), my former employer suffered from severe migraines, and nothing that she was prescribed or bought off of the shelf did a damned bit of good. I'm not one for promoting any particular brand, but she finally tried the Tylenol gel-caps when they came out, and they worked like magic for her. Have you given them a shot? Acetaminophen does nothing for me, but it might be worth trying if you haven't already.

Hah, i like Barb. I think it describes a large part of my personality quite a bit.

I've tried almost everything...all types of Tylenol (even prescription) aspirin, excedrine...the only thing that worked fully was that stuff i was given at the hospital. I refuse to go back and take it again. The oxycodine a friend gave me for one of my headachs worked, but not like it was intended to work...I enjoyed it anyway.

Oh earlier I rememberd something else unusual in my experience. In the hospital to give birth, I had to be induced. They gave me two bags of that stuff to start contractions (I can't recall the name of it) When I told a friend about it, she seemed surprised I had to be given it twice. That surprised me because she had given birth 3 times herself and never knew anyone that had to take it twice. I think even the epidural didn't work fully because I could still move my legs. Surprised my nurse because when she asked me to try and shift around in my bed, i did it quite easily, as one of my legs worked almost fully. The other was quite dead.

Well, the only solution that I can see is for us to call the Mutant Affairs department and have you locked up.

On the other hand, have you consulted a neurologist? All pain medication works by interfering with nerve impulses. Maybe your neurons just aren't wired the same way as most people's. There's also the possibility that the problem is in your brain, regarding how it interprets or reacts to pain signals.
I hate to say this, because I don't like to be alarmist, but I'm starting to become quite worried for you. Please don't delay in seeking good medical advice from a professional.

That...would be kinda awesome. Maybe it means some psychic power will be unlocked here soon. As long as I don't end up in a wheelchair, I'll be happy with it.

No, never had the means to do it. Migrains run in my family, so it's never worried me. I've gotten used to just curling up and crying til the pain went away or i fell asleep. I still don't have the means to get a good doctor.

So you're saying I either have liver or brain problems...great. Well, someone mentioned the liver. Nah, I'm not terribly worried. I'm not dead yet from being a mutant, no need to worry now.

I rather like it, as stated above. It's amusing to see people's reactions when I can take things that would take down a man twice my size, lol. Just means I can't partake in recreational drinking and drug use unless someone gives me enough stuff to do so. Otherwise, I'm too broke too.

Honestly, I've never had problems with pain, except head pain. Every other kind of pain I can usually deal with. Walk it off, ignore it, sit til it goes away. No choice otherwise when meds don't work, lol. I remember being a young kid and having to stay out of school til the flue or whatever ran its course because the medicine I was given didn't help me.

hi Barb! (like that name you got ;))
I would say that besides the above suggestions I can just add that some persons (bodies) can not brake down certain molecules, like ethanol. If your body can not do this "simple" job, than more complicated molecules like the drugs you mention can have the same problem...Liver check remains in the picture, but all the other suggestions are still available, too.

Barb works really well for me, lol

my liver can break down alcohol. for every shot, i go to the bathroom to pee like 5 times, lol. to get what you would consider drunk, i have to drink twice, or three times the amount (depending upon what kind of alcohol) a person my size, age and gender really should. I've been completely drunk once in my life. that was after drinking on an empty stomach (as in not eating since the evening before i drank) and downing a big tall glass of nothing but alcohol. and i will never do that again >< that was the day i learned what a hangover was and why every one gripes about them, lol.

synthetic drugs seem to work better than other kinds, but again, i need at least twice the recomended doesage.

i tend to just avoid most drugs...i like to smoke the green stuff since it helps me to relax sometimes and sleep well and not be hungover the next day like i would be if i had taken sleeping pills. even smoking, i need to smoke a lot, which isn't healthy at all.

i'm just screwed, lol.

1. What causes unusual tolerances and weird reactions in organisms?

There can be a variety of factors that contribute to unusual tolerances and weird reactions in organisms. Some possible causes include genetic mutations, exposure to toxins or environmental stressors, and interactions with other organisms or substances.

2. Can unusual tolerances and weird reactions be beneficial?

In certain cases, yes. Some organisms may develop unusual tolerances or reactions as a way to adapt and survive in their environment. For example, some bacteria can develop resistance to antibiotics, allowing them to survive and reproduce in the presence of the drug.

3. Are unusual tolerances and weird reactions limited to certain species?

No, unusual tolerances and weird reactions can occur in any type of organism, from bacteria to plants to animals. However, certain species may be more prone to developing these traits due to their environment or genetic makeup.

4. How do scientists study and understand unusual tolerances and weird reactions?

Scientists use a combination of experiments, observations, and genetic analysis to study and understand unusual tolerances and weird reactions in organisms. They may also study the historical and evolutionary context of these traits to gain a better understanding of how they develop and function.

5. Are there potential applications for unusual tolerances and weird reactions in medicine or technology?

Yes, there is ongoing research into using unusual tolerances and weird reactions in medicine and technology. For example, scientists are studying how certain organisms can tolerate extreme temperatures or survive in toxic environments, with the goal of developing new medical treatments or technologies that can mimic these abilities.