Velocity of 2-dimensional and 3-dimensional waves

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof that the wave velocity is constant in 1-dimensional transversal elastic waves, but does not mention other types of waves. The speaker is confused about the relationship between wave velocity and material properties in different types of waves, specifically in water waves, 2- and 3-dimensional elastic waves, and acoustic waves. They ask for a proof of the constant wave velocity and a correction of their English. The expert summarizes that the medium is homogeneous, meaning the material properties remain constant, and that the concept of mass per unit length is not applicable in higher dimensions. Instead, mass per unit area and volume should be considered for 2D and 3D waves respectively.
atat1tata
My book (an old copy of Halliday-Resnick) gives a proof for the fact that the wave velocity is constant in 1-dimensional transversal elastic waves, but it says nothing about other types of waves. Basically it makes a tacit assumption that all waves have constant velocity.
However it proves that the amplitude of a circular wave (a ripple in water) decreases proportionally to [tex]\frac{1}{r^2}[/tex]. I think that it assumes that the wave velocity is constant.
From another point of view if one uses cowishly the relation [tex]v^2 = \frac{T}{\mu}[/tex] one could say that, at least for an elastic circular wave, [tex]\mu[/tex] is proportional to [tex]r[/tex] and the wave velocity should vary.
As you can see I'm a bit confused and I would like to ask if someone could at least provide me with a proof of why the wave velocity is constant in water waves, 2- and 3-dimensional elastic waves and acoustic waves.

PS: I would be extremely grateful if someone could correct my English where I made mistakes in the language

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why would \mu be proportional to r? These are homogeneous wave equations (I assume) meaning that the material properties in regards to the wave characteristics are constant throughout the medium.

Born2bwire said:
Why would \mu be proportional to r? These are homogeneous wave equations (I assume) meaning that the material properties in regards to the wave characteristics are constant throughout the medium.

If you think of the medium as a giant rope that starts at a points and gradually broadens to cover concentric increasing circles (you can think of a circular sector which constitutes the rope in the limiting case of an angle of 2pi) then the cross-section increases lineary and so does the mass per unit "length" of the rope. I understand this is a bit nonphysical, but I'd like to see a proof for the fact that velocity is constant for 2- and 3-dimensional waves

Last edited:
No, that's not how it would work. Like I said, the medium is homogeneous, the inherent characteristics of the medium, like the mass density, would remain constant. Your first problem I think is using mass per unit length, that is a 1 dimensional characteristic. You need to do mass per unit area for two dimensions and volume for three dimensions. A 2D surface is a sheet, which you can deconstruct into an infinite number of ropes that radiate out of a single point, or in any other configuration should you desire I guess but ropes are a bad way of thinking because it restricts the propagation along the ropes. In bulk materials you can get shear and plane waves which would not exist together in your given rope configuration.

1. What is the difference between 2-dimensional and 3-dimensional waves?

The main difference between 2-dimensional and 3-dimensional waves is the number of dimensions in which the wave travels. 2-dimensional waves travel in a flat surface, such as the surface of water or a stretched string, while 3-dimensional waves travel in all directions, like sound waves or light waves.

2. How is the velocity of a 2-dimensional wave calculated?

The velocity of a 2-dimensional wave is calculated by dividing the wavelength by the period of the wave. This can also be represented as the frequency multiplied by the wavelength.

3. Can 2-dimensional and 3-dimensional waves have the same velocity?

No, the velocity of 2-dimensional and 3-dimensional waves is determined by different factors and therefore cannot be the same. 2-dimensional waves only travel in two dimensions, while 3-dimensional waves travel in all directions, making their velocities inherently different.

4. How does the medium affect the velocity of a 3-dimensional wave?

The medium through which a 3-dimensional wave travels can affect its velocity. Different mediums have different properties, such as density and elasticity, which can impact the speed at which the wave travels. For example, sound waves travel faster in denser mediums like water than in less dense mediums like air.

5. What is the relationship between the velocity of a wave and its frequency and wavelength?

The velocity of a wave is directly proportional to its frequency and wavelength. This means that as the frequency or wavelength increases, the velocity of the wave also increases. This relationship is described by the equation v = fλ, where v is velocity, f is frequency, and λ is wavelength.