Is there a type of liquid that is less dense than a type of gas?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the density of gas and liquid forms of different elements. The densest known gas is tungsten hexafluoride at 1.3 g/l, while the least dense liquid is probably some form of alcohol at ~0.78 g/cc. However, these values are for STP and may differ at other temperature and pressure ranges. Gas is compressible and its density would increase under pressure. At high temperatures, there is no sharp divide between liquid and gas, so gas can be compressed to a much higher density. The speaker also mentions that liquid hydrogen doesn't count unless it is compared to something at the same temperature. They also mention a possibility of a youtube video showing a gas being compressed to
Mattius_
Would the gas form Uranium or any other heavy atom be more dense than the liquid form of hydrogen?

Physics news on Phys.org
The densest known gas is tungsten hexafluoride, at 1.3 g/l. The least dense liquid is probably some form of alcohol which comes in at ~.78 g/cc (780 g/l), so I'm going to have to say no. These figures are for STP; other temperature and pressure ranges may differ.

Liquid hydrogen is about 71 grams per liter. Xenon gas is 5.894 grams per liter at STP (I think). Radon is about 9.73 grams per liter.

Last edited:
I am a little puzzled by the numbers for gas density. Gas is compressible, so the density would increase under pressure. Also I have a recollection (I was exposed to this a long time ago so my memory may be faulty) that at high temperture there is no sharp divide between liquid and gas, so that gas could be compressed to a much higher density.

That's why I specified that the values were given for STP (standard temperature and pressure). Liquid hydrogen doesn't count unless what you're comparing it to is at the same temperature. Otherwise, you're comparing apples to earthworms.

I feel like if there were we would have all seen the youtube video.

1. What is the difference between density of liquids and gases?

The density of a substance is the amount of mass per unit volume. Liquids have a higher density compared to gases because the particles in liquids are more closely packed together than in gases. This means that liquids have a higher mass per unit volume compared to gases.

2. Is there any type of liquid that is less dense than a gas?

Yes, there are certain types of liquids that can be less dense than gases. These liquids are called supercritical fluids, which are substances that are at a temperature and pressure above their critical point. This causes their density to decrease and become less dense than certain gases.

3. What is the critical point of a substance?

The critical point of a substance is the temperature and pressure at which the liquid and gas phases of the substance have the same density and are indistinguishable from each other. Above this point, the substance exists as a supercritical fluid.

4. Can you provide an example of a supercritical fluid?

One example of a supercritical fluid is carbon dioxide. At a pressure of 73.8 atmospheres and a temperature of 31.1 degrees Celsius, carbon dioxide becomes a supercritical fluid and has a density that is less than its gaseous state at standard conditions.

5. How are supercritical fluids useful in science and industry?

Supercritical fluids have unique properties that make them useful in various applications such as extraction, chromatography, and supercritical drying. They can also be used as solvents for certain reactions and in the production of pharmaceuticals. Additionally, supercritical fluids can be used to study the behavior of substances at extreme conditions, providing valuable insights for scientific research.