Editing MP4 Videos with Windows Movie Maker - Tips & Recommendations

• Thread starter Andre
  • Start date
In summary, the person bought a photo camera that takes HD videos in MP4 format. They were able to find and download a Codec for Windows Media Player to play the videos. However, they were unable to use Windows Movie Maker to edit the MP4 files. They are now looking for recommendations on how to edit and stitch the videos together, and someone suggests converting them to MWV using a software called Prism. The person thanks them and confirms that it worked.
Andre
So I bought this little photo camera that also makes nice HD video. However its output has the MP4 format. Now I managed to find and download a Codec for Windows Media Player (Vista) and that works fine. However no luck to adapt Windows movie maker to MP4 files. And of course it would be nice to be able to edit and stich the different movie fragments somehow.

So what to do? Are there codec's for the WMM or get alternate software for that. Any tips and recommendations?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Thanks, Greg, I'll try.

edit and it works, nice.

Last edited:

1. How do I import MP4 videos into Windows Movie Maker?

To import MP4 videos into Windows Movie Maker, click on the "Home" tab and then select "Add videos and photos" from the toolbar. Navigate to the location of your MP4 video and select it. The video will then appear in the "Storyboard" or "Timeline" view for editing.

2. Can I edit the audio of an MP4 video in Windows Movie Maker?

Yes, you can edit the audio of an MP4 video in Windows Movie Maker. Simply click on the video in the "Storyboard" or "Timeline" view, then click on the "Video Tools" tab and select "Edit" from the toolbar. From there, you can adjust the volume, add background music, or even record your own voiceover.

3. How do I add transitions between MP4 clips in Windows Movie Maker?

To add transitions between MP4 clips in Windows Movie Maker, click on the "Animations" tab and then select the desired transition from the "Transition" section. You can preview the transition by hovering your cursor over it. Once you have selected a transition, drag and drop it between two clips on the "Storyboard" or "Timeline" view.

4. Can I apply effects to my MP4 videos in Windows Movie Maker?

Yes, you can apply effects to your MP4 videos in Windows Movie Maker. Click on the video in the "Storyboard" or "Timeline" view, then click on the "Video Tools" tab and select "Visual Effects" from the toolbar. Choose from a variety of effects such as sepia, black and white, or even slow motion to enhance your video.

5. How do I save my edited MP4 video in Windows Movie Maker?

To save your edited MP4 video in Windows Movie Maker, click on the "File" tab and then select "Save movie" from the dropdown menu. Choose the desired quality and location for your video and click "Save" to export it. You can also directly upload your video to social media platforms such as YouTube and Facebook from Windows Movie Maker.