Landau Notation: Writing Functions in Terms of Other Functions

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Landau symbols to compare two functions, f(x) and g(x). It is explained that f(x) << g(x) is equivalent to f(x) = O(g(x)), while f(x) >> g(x) is equivalent to f(x) = \Omega(g(x)). It is also mentioned that using an equality in front of a Landau symbol is considered an abuse of notation and \in is preferred. However, it is noted that log n << n can also be written as log n = o(n) and not just o(n). The conversation concludes with the clarification that log n << n means log n is much smaller than n and cannot be comparable to n.
flouran
I have a rather simple question which requires a direct answer:

We have two functions, f(x) and g(x).

I know that f(x) << g(x) is the same as f(x) = O(g(x)).
But if f(x) >> g(x), how can I write f(x) in terms of g(x) using the one of the four Landau symbols ([tex]\Omega[/tex], [tex]\omega[/tex], o, or O)?

I suspect that f(x) >> g(x) means the same as f(x) = o(g(x)), but I am not sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
f(x) >> g(x) translates as:
[tex]f(x) = \Omega(g(x))[/tex].
Although according to Knuth, using an equality in front of a Landau symbol is supposedly abuse of notation (apparently [tex]\in[/tex] is preferred).

Last edited:
flouran said:
I have a rather simple question which requires a direct answer:

We have two functions, f(x) and g(x).

I know that f(x) << g(x) is the same as f(x) = O(g(x)).

Actually, I would say o not O for this.

log n << n means log n is MUCH SMALLER than n, not allowed to be comparable to n.

g_edgar said:
Actually, I would say o not O for this.

log n << n means log n is MUCH SMALLER than n, not allowed to be comparable to n.
No, it's O. Look up "Vinogradov symbol" and you'll see that I am right.

1. What is Landau Notation and why is it used?

Landau Notation, also known as Big-O Notation, is a mathematical notation used to describe the limiting behavior of a function as its input approaches infinity. It is commonly used in computer science and mathematics to analyze the efficiency and complexity of algorithms.

2. How is Landau Notation represented?

Landau Notation is typically represented using the uppercase letter "O" followed by parentheses and the function inside. For example, O(n) represents an algorithm that has a linear time complexity, meaning its runtime increases at the same rate as the size of the input.

3. What is the difference between Big-O, Big-Ω, and Big-Θ Notation?

Big-O, Big-Ω, and Big-Θ Notation are all forms of Landau Notation used to describe the upper, lower, and tight bounds of a function, respectively. Big-O represents the worst-case scenario, Big-Ω represents the best-case scenario, and Big-Θ represents the average-case scenario.

4. How is Landau Notation used in algorithm analysis?

Landau Notation is used in algorithm analysis to compare the efficiency and performance of different algorithms. By analyzing the time and space complexity of an algorithm using Landau Notation, we can determine which algorithm is more efficient for a given problem and input size.

5. Can Landau Notation be used for functions with multiple variables?

Yes, Landau Notation can be used for functions with multiple variables. In this case, we consider the worst-case scenario for each variable and take the maximum value as the overall time complexity. For example, if an algorithm has a time complexity of O(n^2) in one variable and O(n) in another, the overall time complexity would be O(n^2).