Cartesian product of a family of countable sets is countable

In summary: The set you are on is always in the same spot, but the sets above and below you are moving. When you get to the end of the row, the set you were on before is now above you and the set below you is now below you. Since the set you were on before was countable and every set is countable, the set you just zig-zagged through was also countable.
sutupidmath
Proposition: Let [tex] \{A_n\}_{n\in I}[/tex] be a family of countable sets. Prove that

[tex] \bigotimes_{i=1}^n A_i[/tex]

is a countable set.

Proof:

Since [tex] \{A_n\}_{n\in I}[/tex]

are countable, there are 1-1 functions

[tex] f_n:A_n->J[/tex]

(J, the set of positive integers)

Now let us define a function

[tex] h:\bigotimes_{i=1}^n A_i->J[/tex]

such that

[tex] h(a_1,a_2,...,a_n)=(p_1)^{f_1(a_1)}*(p_2)^{f_2(a_2)}*...*(p_n)^{f_n(a_n)}[/tex]

Where p_i are prime numbers such that

[tex] 2\leq p_1<p_2<...<p_n[/tex]

Now from the Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic,it is clear that h is a 1-1 function. So, based on some previous theorems, we conclude that

[tex]\bigotimes_{i=1}^n A_i[/tex]

is a countable set.

Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your topic title should include the word finite (you have written it up as such in your proposition, though)

That is pretty much the proof I have always seen for the theorem, although you may have to explain the 'previous theorems' you mentioned

VeeEight said:
Your topic title should include the word finite (you have written it up as such in your proposition, though)

That is pretty much the proof I have always seen for the theorem, although you may have to explain the 'previous theorems' you mentioned

THe previous theorem(s) are basically that every infinite subset of J is countable. And also that every subset of a countable set is countable.

The reason i posted this is that I've only seen a theorem that proves for the case of only two sets A, B, so i wanted to generalize on the idea. THe motvation behind this came from another problem i was working on. It looked like i needed to prove this proposition before could tackle that problem...and it worked out fine.

In fact, it is true that a the union of countable collection of countable sets is countable:
Imagine writing the sets in a row and the members of each set is a column below the set. Now, "zig-zag" through the array.

What is the definition of a Cartesian product?

A Cartesian product is a mathematical operation that combines two sets to form a new set, where each element in the new set is an ordered pair consisting of an element from the first set and an element from the second set.

What does it mean for a set to be countable?

A set is countable if it has a finite number of elements or if the elements can be put into a one-to-one correspondence with the natural numbers.

Why is the Cartesian product of a family of countable sets countable?

The Cartesian product of a family of countable sets is countable because we can use a method called diagonalization to enumerate all the elements in the product set. This method ensures that every element in the product set will eventually be reached, making it countable.

Can the Cartesian product of an uncountable family of sets be countable?

No, the Cartesian product of an uncountable family of sets cannot be countable. This is because the number of elements in the product set would be greater than the number of elements in any countable set, which means it is not possible to enumerate all the elements using the diagonalization method.

How is the concept of Cartesian product useful in mathematics?

The Cartesian product is useful in mathematics because it allows us to describe and work with combinations of elements from different sets. It is used in various fields such as set theory, combinatorics, and topology to study and solve problems related to these areas.