Favorite Author? (Math/Physics)

• Thread starter Pinu7
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses various authors in the fields of math, physics, and other sciences. Some of the mentioned authors include Serge Lang, Saunders Mac Lane, Robert Wald, Robert Valenza, Philip Franklin, Cornelius Lanczos, and others. The participants express their admiration for these authors' clarity, rigor, and precision in their writing. Some notable authors not mentioned include Spivak, Apostol, Gelfand, and Landau.
Pinu7
Who is your favorite book(math/physics) author and why? I'm not sure why I ask since most of you will probably say Arnold, which is fair.

Personally, I love Serge Lang's books, a perfect mix of clarity and rigor and somehow is concise.

Physics news on Phys.org
For myself, my favorite authors can only be classified by their subject matter.

For Algebra and Category Theory, I love Saunders Mac Lane. His books are clear, precise, and are excellent for self study and for reference.

For Analysis, I adore the Rudin series; that should be a given.

For Topology, Dugundji is my favorite; his topology book is sheer pleasure to read.

For Physics, I'm especially fond of Robert Wald; his text on General Relativity is superb.

Lang's Undergraduate Analysis and Algebra are probably two of the best math books that I've ever read. I'm still working on the latter.

Robert Valenza is a really good writer but he's only written two books; Linear Algebra and a book on Fourier analysis on number fields. I have no interest in the latter and so haven't read it. The linear algebra book was good enough to make me wish that I cared about number theory though.

There are many metrics available L1,L2...
Some that come to mind are
Philip Franklin
Cornelius Lanczos
Georgi E. Shilov
Richard W. Hamming
G. N. Watson
Dean Duffy
Earl Rainville
Serge Lang
Paul R. Halmos
Edward L. Ince
E. T Copson
Saunders Mac Lane
Steven Roman
Andrew Russel Forsyth
T. J. Bromwich
Florian Cajori
Peter Lax
Shlomo Sternberg
Herbert S. Wilf
G. H. Hardy

wow their exist many good authors

Spivak: his prose in Calculus and in his 5-volume Differential Geometry (of which I have only skimmed the first one) is pure joy; his formal style in Calculus on Manifolds is nice.
Apostol: no-nonsense, to the point, and crystal clear.
Lang: always talks to you like an intellegent human being, precise, concise, and never hides the (sometimes ugly) truth. His books are so packed with information, you'll learn so much from every one of them.
Gelfand: Russian master; his book on Calculus on Variations is beautiful, and his Lectures on Linear Algebra is better every time you read it. Also to the point, clear proofs, and very logically written books.
Landau: another Russian; although he doesn't always treat the mathematics rigorously, he has given me much physical insight. The books Classical Field Theory and Mechanics almost make me cry, can physics be presented more beautifully and clearly?

I haven't read enough to give a full list, but I can certainly recommend the following:

G. Polya
Ian Stewart
Yaglom (either of the brothers)

Other science:

Larry Wall
Linus Pauling

I like many of your favorite books you've listed, guys.

I can't believe none of you named Jerrold E. Marsden.

1. Who is your favorite author in the field of math or physics?

As a scientist, it is difficult to pick just one favorite author in the vast fields of math and physics. However, some of the most influential and highly regarded authors in these subjects include Albert Einstein, Isaac Newton, Stephen Hawking, and Leonard Euler.

2. What are some of your favorite books written by this author?

Each of the aforementioned authors have written numerous groundbreaking books in the fields of math and physics. Some popular titles include "The Principia" by Isaac Newton, "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking, and "On the Electrodynamics of Moving Bodies" by Albert Einstein.

3. What makes this author stand out to you?

Each of these authors have made significant contributions to the fields of math and physics, pushing the boundaries of our understanding of the universe. Their works have stood the test of time and continue to inspire and influence scientists and researchers today.

4. How has this author impacted the field of math or physics?

The impact of these authors on the fields of math and physics cannot be overstated. Their theories and discoveries have revolutionized our understanding of the natural world and have paved the way for countless advancements in science and technology.

5. Are there any lesser-known authors in math or physics that you would recommend?

While the aforementioned authors are widely recognized and celebrated, there are certainly many other great authors in these fields that may not be as well-known. Some lesser-known authors that I would recommend include Emmy Noether, Galileo Galilei, and Richard Feynman.