Comparison and Limit Comparison Tests for Convergence of Series

In summary: So you can use a smaller upper bound to prove convergence. In summary, the problem involves determining whether the series \sum^{\infty}_{n=1} \frac{e^{n}+n}{e^{2n}-n^{2}} converges or diverges using either the Comparison Test or the Limit Comparison Test. The attempt at a solution involves finding a suitable b_{n} to compare the series to. After trying different options, the limit comparison test with \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{e^{n}-n} is suggested as a possible method to prove convergence.
greenteacup

Homework Statement

[tex]\sum[/tex][tex]^{\infty}_{n=1}[/tex] [tex]\frac{e^{n}+n}{e^{2n}-n^{2}}[/tex]

Homework Equations

I have to use either the Comparison Test or the Limit Comparison Test to show whether the series converges or diverges.

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]a_{n}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{e^{n}+n}{e^{2n}-n^{2}}[/tex]

[tex]b_{n}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{1}{e^{2n}}[/tex]

[tex]lim_{n->\infty}[/tex] [tex]\frac{e^{n}+n}{e^{2n}-n^{2}}[/tex] * [tex]e^{2n}[/tex]

Annnd I'm not sure what to do beyond this point. I'm not even sure I'm taking the right equation for b[tex]_{n}[/tex]... Is it okay to just ignore the [tex]e^{n}[/tex] in the numerator like that?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can do the limit formally like so

[tex] \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{e^{3n} + e^{n}n}{e^{2n}-{n^2}}[/tex]

Divide the top and bottom by e2n

[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{e^n+\frac{n}{e^n}}{1-\frac{n^2}{e^{2n}}}[/tex]

The numerator goes to infinity as n gets large, but the denominator goes to 1. So obviously the limit doesn't exist. Since the series for bn converges, you need to find something better.

The n and n2 in the limit don't grow nearly as fast as the exponentials, so when considering limit behavior, you might want to assume they're 0 to get a rough idea of what is going on. What can you divide [tex] \frac{e^n}{e^{2n}}[/tex] by to get that the limit as n goes to infinity still exists that might be a suitable candidate?

Hmm. Could I make it [tex]\frac{e^{n}}{ne^{2n}}[/tex]? Or [tex]\frac{ln(e^{n})}{ln(e^{2n})}[/tex]?

Try the limit comparison test with [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{e^{n}-n}[/tex]
(this converges if you compare it with the geometric series by the way)

Thank you so much, everyone! zcd, is the [tex]b_{n}[/tex] you gave me less than [tex]\frac{1}{e^{n}}[/tex] though? It seems like it should be bigger because the denominator is less...

greenteacup said:
Thank you so much, everyone! zcd, is the [tex]b_{n}[/tex] you gave me less than [tex]\frac{1}{e^{n}}[/tex] though? It seems like it should be bigger because the denominator is less...

It is bigger. But it's less than 1/((e^n)/2), for example, since (e^n-n)>((e^n)/2) if n is large enough.

What is the (Limit) Comparison Test?

The (Limit) Comparison Test is a mathematical test used to determine the convergence or divergence of a series. It involves comparing the given series to a known series whose convergence or divergence is already known.

When is the (Limit) Comparison Test used?

The (Limit) Comparison Test is typically used when the terms of a given series are difficult to directly compare or when other tests, such as the Integral Test or the Ratio Test, are inconclusive.

What is the difference between the Limit Comparison Test and the Comparison Test?

The Limit Comparison Test is a more general version of the Comparison Test. In the Comparison Test, the limit of the ratio of two series is taken as the series approaches infinity. In the Limit Comparison Test, the limit is taken as a constant, not necessarily infinity.

What are the requirements for using the (Limit) Comparison Test?

In order to use the (Limit) Comparison Test, the series being tested must have positive terms and be either all convergent or all divergent.

How do you perform the (Limit) Comparison Test?

To perform the (Limit) Comparison Test, you must first identify a known series with a known convergence or divergence. Then, take the limit of the ratio of the two series as n approaches infinity. If the limit is a positive, finite number, then the two series have the same convergence or divergence. If the limit is 0 or infinity, then the two series have opposite convergence or divergence. If the limit is inconclusive, another test must be used.