Basis for Image and Kernel of matrix

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the basis for the image and kernel of a given matrix. The kernel is found to be trivial, with the basis being the empty set. The image basis can be found using the pivots of the row reduced echelon form of the matrix, with the corresponding column vectors being valid choices. It is also noted that the basis for the image could also be {(1,0,0),(0,1,0),(0,0,1)} if written as column vectors.
boneill3

Homework Statement

Find an Basis for Image and Kernel of the matrix.
[itex]\[ \left( \begin{array}{ccc}
2 & 1 & 3 \\
0 & 2 & 5 \\
1 & 1 & 1 \end{array} \right)\]
[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

To find the kernel I solve the equation Ax = 0

I put the matrix in row reduced echelon form which is the identity matrix.
[itex]
\[ \left( \begin{array}{ccc}
1 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 1 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 1 \end{array} \right)\]
[/itex]

Therefore its the equation

x = 0
y = 0
z = 0

The kernel basis is just the unit basis, {(1,0,0),(0,1,0),(0,0,1)}

For the image basis I've seen that you can use the pivots of the rref matrix and use the corresponding column vectors of the original Matrix as the image basis.

So is that just

{(2,0,1),(1,2,1),(3,5,1)} ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry wrong latex code

The kernel basis is just the unit basis, {(1,0,0),(0,1,0),(0,0,1)}

No. You found the kernel to be trivial, i.e. {(0,0,0)}. The basis for the kernel, then, is the empty set.

For the image basis I've seen that you can use the pivots of the rref matrix and use the corresponding column vectors of the original Matrix as the image basis.

So is that just

{(2,0,1),(1,2,1),(3,5,1)} ?

This is correct. You could also use {(1,0,0),(0,1,0),(0,0,1)} since the image is all of R3. You might have to write them as column vectors, depending on the conventions your instructor has adopted.

Thanks

1. What is the basis for a matrix?

The basis for a matrix is the set of linearly independent vectors that span its column space. In other words, they are the minimum number of vectors needed to express all possible linear combinations of the columns of the matrix.

2. How is the basis for a matrix determined?

The basis for a matrix can be determined by finding the pivot columns in its reduced row echelon form. These pivot columns correspond to the linearly independent vectors that make up the basis.

3. What is the relationship between the basis and the column space of a matrix?

The basis for a matrix is a subset of its column space. The column space contains all possible linear combinations of the columns of the matrix, while the basis only includes the minimum number of vectors needed to express these combinations.

4. How is the kernel of a matrix related to its basis?

The kernel of a matrix is the set of all vectors that, when multiplied by the matrix, result in a zero vector. The basis for the kernel is a set of linearly independent vectors that span this null space.

5. Can a matrix have more than one basis?

Yes, a matrix can have multiple bases. This can occur when there are redundant vectors in the column space, meaning some vectors can be expressed as linear combinations of others. In this case, there can be different combinations of vectors that still form a basis for the matrix.