Fullerenes as Ion Propellants

• Thread starter sanman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ion
In summary, silicon fullerenes have high magnetic spin properties, which could make them better candidates for ion propulsion than buckyons. The DS4G ion thruster is designed to avoid erosion of its grids by the ion propellant, and whether or not this thruster combination is the optimal one for lunar liftoffs/landings is unknown.
sanman
I'm x-posting this from the Aerospace Engineering forum, to see if I can get more responses here
--------

I'd read about the investigation into using C60 fullerenes as propellant in an ion engine, due to their high molecular weight and low ionization energy:

http://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S0094576502001157

By this reasoning, shouldn't buckyonions be even better candidates as propellant, since they have many layers, each of which would be influenced/polarized by the ionization/polarization of the adjacent layers?

Furthermore, I'd also read about Silicon fullerenes, like Si60, which not only have even higher molecular weight, but also have high magnetic spin properties as well.

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/93513554/abstract

Wouldn't it be possible to use Silicon fullerenes as propellant under the Lorentz force, for even better thrust performance?
What would be the main challenges or difficulties in doing so?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Fullerenes would be undersirable for ion propulsion precisely because of the large mass. Ideally one wants a low mass propellant that can be accelerated to highest possible speed. Low work function or ionzation energy is also desirable.

While I understand the desire for maximum kinetic energy per unit of propellant relative to the amount of energy expended, I've noticed that many feel that ion thrusters are handicapped by their lower thrust and thus their slower acceleration time, especially for missions to nearer bodies with their larger gravity wells.

Consequently, for missions to the Moon, wouldn't it be useful to have an ion engine and/or propellant capable of providing comparatively better acceleration relative to existing ion thrusters, in order to reduce transit time?
I realize that chemical rockets are better for acceleration and thrust, but at the same time they're far less efficient than ion engines on a propellant mass basis.
If some compromise is to be made between mass efficiency and acceleration, wouldn't a higher-thrust ion engine be a better choice?

The C60 ion propellant study I linked to claimed a better power to weight ratio relative to propellant mass. I assume that's because of better coupling between the fullerenes and the electric field of the thruster. That's why I was thinking that the Si60 with its unique magnetic properties might be better, because it would couple with both electric and magnetic (aka. "Lorentz") forces in a more efficient way.

I was also thinking that the newer DS4G ion thruster design would work better with fullerene propellants, since it seems designed to avoid erosion of its grids by the ion propellant.

Whether or not DS4G plus fullerenes are the optimal ion thruster combination, I'm wondering what the upper limit is on ion thrust, and whether it could ever be used for lunar liftoffs/landings by being scaled up beyond mere milliNewtons?

1. What are fullerenes?

Fullerenes are a group of carbon molecules that are composed of 60 carbon atoms arranged in a spherical structure. They are also known as "buckyballs" and have unique properties such as high strength, low density, and high thermal stability.

2. How can fullerenes be used as ion propellants?

Fullerenes can be ionized to form charged particles which can then be accelerated by an electric field to generate thrust. This makes them suitable for use as ion propellants in spacecraft propulsion systems.

3. What advantages do fullerenes offer as ion propellants?

Fullerenes have a high ionization efficiency, meaning a larger percentage of the molecules can be ionized compared to other propellant materials. They also have a high specific impulse, which means they can generate more thrust for a longer time compared to other propellants.

4. Are there any challenges in using fullerenes as ion propellants?

One challenge is the high cost of producing fullerenes, which can limit their use in large-scale space missions. They also have a lower thrust-to-weight ratio compared to traditional chemical propellants, which may limit their use in certain applications.

5. What is the future of fullerenes as ion propellants?

Research is ongoing to improve the production and performance of fullerenes as ion propellants. With advancements in nanotechnology, it is possible that fullerenes could become more cost-effective and efficient in the future, making them a promising option for space propulsion systems.