Multi-Step linear systems problem - Build ODE, impulse response, systems balance

In summary, the conversation is about solving an ODE with a given function and finding the integrating factor. The participants discuss different ways to approach the problem and eventually come up with a solution using integration by parts. The final answer is a complicated expression involving various terms and an unknown variable.
dankaroll
I messed up on the title of the thread.. I had a few questions but ended up solving them on my own. The only question I have is how to solve this ODE. Thanks.

Homework Statement

Solve the ODE

(dx/dt)= f(t) - .1x

Where f(t) = 2+sin(t)2. The attempt at a solution

I faintly remember doing these types of ODE's in diff eq class, but there was always a x/t term so it ended up being a nice equation. Not really sure how to approach one of these though.

Physics news on Phys.org
I learned this recently in my class. Try moving all the x factors to the left and see if you can do something there.

I think its coming back to me.. I need to find an integrating factor

I found that the integrating factor would be e-.1t

If I multiply both sides by it and integrate I end up with:

e-.1tx = -20e-.1t+int(sin(t)e-.1tdt)

So I end up having the int(sin(t)e-.1tdt)

Which isn't being too cool with letting me solve it.. any suggestions?

You're on the right track.
Remember you have a dx/dt on the left so the equation would be
(dx/dt)+.1x= 2+sin(t)

by turning this into a different notation you get:
x'+.1x=2+sin(t)

So then you can now multiply by the integrating factor and get
e^(.1t)x'+.1e^(.1t)x=2+sin(t)

Does the left side look familiar?

Yes, I think it's coming back to you. I would say the integrating factor is for x'+x/10 is exp(t/10) though. Keep working on it. I think it will come back. To integrate sin(t)*exp(t/10) you integrate by parts. Twice. Is the memory coming back?

As of right now I'm still stumped.. but I did realize I made a mistake with a sign.

After integrating twice I end with:et/10x = 20et/10 + 10et/10sin(t) - 100et/10cos(t) - 100 [tex]\int[/tex]et/10sin(t)dt I think I might see something..

[tex]\int[/tex]et/10sin(t)dt = et/10x-20et/10?Still a noob with the symbols :PThanks for all your help so far!

Try my way...

The left side is just the product rule. So if you do this:
d/dt(e^(.1t)*x)=2+sin(t)

Then you can do a really simple integration. But you could also do it Dick's way.
:)

rey242 said:
Try my way...

The left side is just the product rule. So if you do this:
d/dt(e^(.1t)*x)=2+sin(t)

Then you can do a really simple integration. But you could also do it Dick's way.
:)

I'm all for the easy way (dont shoot me!) but what I don't see in your way is why you only multiplied one side by the integrating factor. Should you multiply the other side as well?

No, what's an x doing in there? You have to integrate exp(t/10)*sin(t)dt by parts using d(-cos(t))=(sin(t))dt. Then you integrate by parts AGAIN and you get the integral of exp(t/10)*sin(t) back again. But with a different sign. Solve for the integral of exp(t/10)*sin(t). I think you've probably seen this before.

Yeah sorry about that, I forgot. :eek:
Multiply both sides by exp(.1t).

The integration is harder now but its still the basic concept.

So I redid my integration and got..

et/10x = 20et/10 - et/10cos(t) - (1/10)et/10sin(t) - (1/100) [tex]\int[/tex]et/10sin(t)dt

cmon brain don't fail me now.. i still don't see it arg

Remember Integration by Parts has "tricks"?
Try setting your equation to

[tex]\int[/tex] exp(t/10)sin(t)dt =20et/10 - et/10cos(t) - (1/10)et/10sin(t) - (1/100)[tex]\int[/tex] et/10sin(t)dt

(I made a mistake with the 1/10 term, should be +)

anywaysOK! I think I figured it out..You can sub the integral parts for a variable.. in this case i'll call it Y

So I solve for Y, plug it back in where the integral was.

for y I ended up with

Y = (100/101)(20et/10 - et/10cos(t) + (1/10)et/10sin(t))

So then u plug it back into where the integral was, exp functions end up canceling out and u get your answer for x

right?
ah, what a complicated answer for such a simple looking problem. math is the master of disguise :)

Last edited:

1. What is a multi-step linear system?

A multi-step linear system is a mathematical model that describes the relationship between inputs and outputs in a system using a series of linear equations. It is a type of differential equation that can be solved using various methods, such as the impulse response method.

2. How do you build an Ordinary Differential Equation (ODE) for a multi-step linear system?

To build an ODE for a multi-step linear system, you first need to identify the inputs and outputs of the system and determine the relationship between them. This relationship can then be expressed as a series of linear equations, which can be combined to form a single ODE.

3. What is an impulse response in the context of multi-step linear systems?

An impulse response is the output of a system when an impulse (a sudden change in input) is applied. In the context of multi-step linear systems, it refers to the response of the system to a sudden change in input over multiple time steps.

4. How do you find the impulse response of a multi-step linear system?

The impulse response of a multi-step linear system can be found by solving the ODE that describes the system using the impulse response method. This involves applying the impulse input and solving for the output over multiple time steps.

5. What is systems balance in the context of multi-step linear systems?

Systems balance refers to the state of a system where the inputs and outputs are equal, indicating that the system is in equilibrium. In the context of multi-step linear systems, it is important to ensure that the system is balanced in order to accurately model its behavior.