What does the symbol ‹[·]› mean in signal and communication systems?

In summary, the conversation is about a symbol ‹[·]› that the speaker has found in their signal and communication systems class. They are having trouble understanding its meaning and have been researching it. The symbol appears to be similar to a Fourier transform, but the issue is what the brackets and dot inside mean. The speaker suggests that it could possibly represent where the operation is applied, similar to how a dot is used in an inner product. The conversation then shifts to discussing the average value of a function, which is usually denoted with a similar notation.
j_penac13
Hello there! I am in a class of signal and communication systems and found this symbol:
‹[·]› But I can't figure what it means, teacher told us to research it. Been reading books like crazy and can't find anything. Hope you can help me.

I put a picture of how he used it, if that helps you.

Attachments

• Picture1.png
    Picture1.png
    3.2 KB · Views: 414
Mathematics news on Phys.org
looks kind of like a Fourier transform of [.]

Well, the problem isn't the whole operation, because it is kinda Fourier transform. Thing is what does [.] mean?!

Sometimes authors will use a dot to denote where the thing to be operated is supposed to go. For example, the inner product is linear in the first term can be written as:
< . ,u> is linear for any fixed u. Maybe something similar to that? Not sure about the brackets

the average value of a function f is usually written as [tex]\frac{1}{b-a} \int_{a}^{b}{f(x)dx}[/tex]

so set a = -T/2 & b = T/2 & then T--> infinity... that's more like it

1. What is a "math symbol"?

A math symbol is a character or symbol that represents a mathematical operation, concept, or quantity.

2. What is a "help figure" in math?

A help figure in math is a visual representation or diagram that is used to illustrate a concept or solution to a problem.

3. How do I use a math symbol in a problem?

To use a math symbol in a problem, you must first understand what the symbol represents and then apply it correctly in the problem according to the rules and properties of that symbol.

4. Can I use any math symbol in any problem?

No, not all math symbols can be used in any problem. Each symbol has its own specific meaning and usage, so it is important to use the correct symbol for the specific problem you are solving.

5. Where can I find a list of math symbols and their meanings?

There are many resources available online and in textbooks that provide lists of math symbols and their meanings. It is important to consult a reliable source to ensure accuracy.