Why do men prefer hot girls over cute girls?

• Thread starter jhooper3581
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hot Random
In summary, the conversation discusses the question of why most males prefer hot girls over cute girls and whether or not this preference is based on societal norms or biology. Some argue that it could be a personal preference and that the terms "hot" and "cute" are subjective and open to interpretation. Others suggest that societal pressure and media influence may play a role in shaping this preference. Ultimately, the conversation ends with no definitive answer, as individuals have their own unique preferences and definitions of attractiveness.

GeorginaS said:
... And, further, thinks that blanket assumptions apply vis the question of said hotness and cuteness...

Oooh, I agree! The blanket assumption test is a lot better than categorizing them as merely hot or cute.

That's the test based on what they assume the blanket is for, right?

Physics news on Phys.org

BobG said:
That's the test based on what they assume the blanket is for, right?

No, that's the test based on how they react when you remove the blanket.

Galteeth said:
I disagree. It's really more of a physical characteristic. To somewhat oversimplify, cute=nice face, hot=nice body.

I disagree with you here. But all of this is personal preference so we could disagree with each other all day. There is no way to define someone as hot or cute since the definitions of hot and cute rely on the preference of the observer.

Point of curiosity: what if the Gilligan's Island casting director had decided to switch things and cast Dawn Wells as Ginger and Tina Louise as Mary Ann? Would it have worked? I think Dawn could have played Ginger fairly well, but I don't think Tina could pull off the role of Mary Ann. Maybe cute can go to hot more easily than hot can go to cute?

Math Is Hard said:
Point of curiosity: what if the Gilligan's Island casting director had decided to switch things and cast Dawn Wells as Ginger and Tina Louise as Mary Ann? Would it have worked? I think Dawn could have played Ginger fairly well, but I don't think Tina could pull off the role of Mary Ann. Maybe cute can go to hot more easily than hot can go to cute?
Sounds like the kind of unrigorous speculation that is only going to get the thread locked.

Math Is Hard said:

Do you have any peer reviewed studies to back that up?

GeorginaS said:
Do you have any peer reviewed studies to back that up?

Um, no.. it was just a thought experiment. Clearly, I've gone crackpot. I'll go infractionate myself now.

zoobyshoe said:
She's totally hot. Which should confuse Georgina. But the fact is "hot" can be used to describe any sexually attractive girl. A girl's hotness may only have to be distinguished as the cute variety when she's being compared to a girl whose hotness is of the hot variety.

Yes. So perhaps the labels should be changed to:
cute and sexy.

DaveC426913 said:
Yes. So perhaps the labels should be changed to:
cute and sexy.

Well, as BobG pointed out, hot is all about the blankets. So...

Have we answered the question yet? Has someone's love life been improved?

GeorginaS said:
SA, I understand what's suggested and what's implied by the pigeonholes; I don't agree with the idea of universality of appeal (then again, I'm female), and I don't agree with media that reinforce the ideas. Grease is a great example. I'm not a fan of twisting oneself into a pretzel to fit someone else's idea of desirability. And I'm not a fan of desirability being so narrowly defined, and I further don't believe in the narrowness of that supposed definition. And I don't think I've had enough coffee yet to have coherent discussion about this. :smile:
Sorry, I figure you are aware of these sorts of distinctions and stereotypes. I was explaining more to talk out my line of reasoning as to why the OP may believe in the universality of his opinion. I also think that the two classifications are a bit limited and that many women may fit in both.

Galteeth said:
I disagree. It's really more of a physical characteristic. To somewhat oversimplify, cute=nice face, hot=nice body.
Well I agree that it is most often primarily a superficial distinction and it is true that "cute" usually implies certain facial characteristics and "hot" generally implies a nice figure but I think that is rather limited. I think that the clothes and manner of carrying oneself contributes greatly. I have known women with stereotypically "cute" characteristics that had nice figures and generally dressed and carried themselves in a manner that made most people perceive them as being in the "hot" category. I've also met women with faces and figures that would place them easily in the "hot" category that dressed and acted in a manner that led most people to perceive them as "cute". Many of both types would cross over back and forth depending on their mood.

Once I met a woman at a pool hall. She was dressed up in a tight slinky dress with red lips and her hair in a sexy upsweep. The next day we met for coffee and she was wearing baggy pants, a t-shirt, her hair in pigtails plastered to the sides of her head under a beanie, and no make-up. "Hot" to "cute" with a simple change of clothes.

Math Is Hard said:

Dawn Wells spent most of her career performing in plays and there aren't as wide a variety of pictures available of her. Generally just Gilligan's Island photos, a few public appearance photos, a few publicity photos and a few mug shots.

But, I agree that the "cute" look is kind of hard for Tina Louise to pull off. At best, she seems to be able to pull off the dumb, cute look as opposed to the cute person with a brain.

http://i.fanpix.net/images/orig/y/7/y798coid2ggwwgd.jpg

Louise is much better at being just plain hot (especially once freed of the caricature she portrayed in Gilligan's Island)

http://i.fanpix.net/images/orig/0/w/0w75flmux8aqlfuw.jpg

http://www.fanpix.net/gallery/tina-louise-pictures.htm

Interestingly, when Dawn Wells (Mary Ann) was arrested for marijuana, the frequency of internet searches for her name increased 5,860%. That might seem a natural reaction to her suddenly being in the news, but Wells's arrest resulted in an increase of 13,076% for Tina Louise (Ginger).

Mary Ann gets arrested and it increases internet searches for Ginger more than twice as much as it increases internet searches for Mary Ann. (http://www.daviddalka.com/createval...ands-affect-search-choiceginger-and-mary-ann/)

Dawn Wells was a lot less popular among the other cast members than Tina Louise, as well. Of course, Wells was the last cast member signed and received a better deal than the other cast members. The others didn't receive much money (if any) from subsequent reruns in syndication. Wells made money off that show for decades.

Last edited by a moderator:

Why are there no questions about whether women prefer smart guys or hot guys? Which do women prefer - the original professor (John Gabriel) from the pilot or the "new" professor (Russell Johnson) hired for the actual series?

John Gabriel (you can tell he's a professor because his shirt is unbuttoned to his navel):
pilot.jpg

Russell Johnson
professor.jpg

(By the way, that's the original Ginger, the practical brunette, and the original Bunny, the dizzy blonde, that were in the pilot episode in place of Ginger and Mary Ann.)

BobG said:
Why are there no questions about whether women prefer smart guys or hot guys?

Because there doesn't seem to be any general mystification about the correct answer?

Math Is Hard said:
I'll go infractionate myself now.

You'll do WHAT to yourself now?

You're just determined to get this thread locked, Missy!

("Thought experiment"? Hmmm. Apt term, really.)

Cute girls and hot girls are the same but that picture of the cute girl was hot I am mean cute

I know this is an old thread but
BobG said:
Because body temperature rises about 0.4 degrees during ovulation until a few days before the start of a woman's menstrual cycle. Mating is more effective at creating offspring if it's done when a woman is fertile, so natural selection makes women with a higher body temperature more attractive than women that just look nice.

Well, it sounds good. :uhh:

And women are usually perceived to be more attractive when ovulating.

However, some women don't understand the compliment when you tell them they look as if they're ovulating.

OMG this made me lose it LOLOLOLOL:rofl:

it is very simple - hot/ sexy women are perceived by men to be more open to sex... that is the reason that men prefer them in most instances

yyttr2 said:
thm_phpvccqJs.png
<--- cute girl.

zoobyshoe said:
[PLAIN]http://blogs.creativeloafing.com/blurbex/files/2008/03/mary-ann.jpg

1st girl: Cute but Meh.
2nd girl: Way cute and hot.

The difference? The smile.

Last edited by a moderator:

bd7878 said:
it is very simple - hot/ sexy women are perceived by men to be more open to sex... that is the reason that men prefer them in most instances

Quite the opposite. Hot/sexy women are usually snotty and have high standards, so no mortal nerd can scale that nookie fence.

Ugly chicks, on the other hand, have been a staple meat for the nerds and wing men throughout time.

Maybe if you want to attract a nerd you should go undercover - like Tyra Banks, put on a fat suit and dress up like an emo WoW character, you'll be a witness to the nerd emergence.

cronxeh said:
Quite the opposite. Hot/sexy women are usually snotty and have high standards, so no mortal nerd can scale that nookie fence.
Are you claiming this is a common perception, or are you claiming it is your perception? Or are you simply claiming it is so?

Well I don't think I was ever attracted to an ugly chick.. but I am shallow :frown:

Then again, ugly chicks are so rare, its almost as if they are interesting because they are unique. Not to me personally, though.

Thread closed due to quality of discussion.

Last edited: