Mathematica File Import Question

In summary, the conversation is about finding a way to make imported data from large Excel files permanent in Mathematica so that the files do not have to be re-imported every time the program is executed on a different computer. The solution suggested is to use DumpSave or Save.
PhysicsDilettante
I'm an occassional Mathematica user (Ver 7.0.1.0).

I'm doing something now where I need to import a couple of large Excel files, no problem with that. I'm wondering, however, if there is a procedure to make the resulting lists created by the imported data permanent so that I don't have to re-import everytime I execute the file. Mainly, I'm trying to avoid having to carrying around those Excel files and re-doing the directory etc. in the program to import the data when I move from running it on one computer to another at work and home.

Thanks in advance,

Frank

Physics news on Phys.org
I have used DumpSave for that purpose before. If you have trouble reading the DumpSave from one computer into another computer then you may need to use Save instead of DumpSave.

I understand the importance of having efficient and reproducible processes in our work. In this case, I would suggest using the "Save" function in Mathematica to save the imported data as a permanent file. This way, you can simply load the saved file instead of re-importing the data every time you execute the file. Additionally, you can use the "SetDirectory" function to specify a specific directory for the saved file, making it easier to access and use the data on different computers. I hope this helps in streamlining your workflow and making your analysis more efficient.

1. What file formats can be imported into Mathematica?

Mathematica can import a wide range of file formats, including text, images, audio, video, spreadsheets, databases, and various scientific and engineering formats such as FITS and HDF5.

2. How do I import data from a CSV file into Mathematica?

To import data from a CSV file, you can use the Import function and specify the file path and format as "CSV". You can also specify additional options such as the number of header lines or the delimiter used in the file.

3. Can Mathematica import data from a website or URL?

Yes, Mathematica has the ability to import data from websites or URLs. You can use the Import function and specify the URL as the file path, along with the desired format.

4. Can I import only specific columns or rows from a file into Mathematica?

Yes, you can use the Import function and specify the columns or rows you want to import using the "Elements" option. You can also use the "DataRange" option to specify a specific range of rows or columns.

5. Is it possible to import data from an Excel file into Mathematica?

Yes, you can use the Import function and specify the Excel file as the file path, along with the format as "XLSX" or "XLS". You can also use additional options to specify which sheet or cells to import from the file.