Counting Balls in Boxes: Finding Solutions with Upper-Bound on Number of Balls

In summary, you can divide 20 balls into 5 boxes so that no box contains more than 10 balls if you set a lower-bound on the number of balls in each box.
noblerare

Homework Statement

Specifically,

How many ways can you divide up 20 distinct balls into 5 distinct boxes so that no box contains more than 10 balls?

Homework Equations

This is similar to another problem in which we have to find the number of ways to divide up r balls into k boxes.

[tex]x_1+x_2+x_3+\ldots+x_k = r[/tex] where each [tex]x_i \geq 0[/tex]

This is equal to [tex]\binom{r+k-1}{k-1}[/tex]

If, we set a lower-bound on the number of balls in boxes, say, each box must contain at least [tex]s[/tex] balls, then the answer is: [tex]\binom{r-s+k-1}{k-1}[/tex].

My question is: How do I go about setting an upper-bound for the number of balls in each box?

The Attempt at a Solution

In my problem, I have to find the solutions for:
[tex]x_1+x_2+x_3+x_4+x_5 = 20[/tex] such that each [tex]x_i \leq 10[/tex]

I am unsure how to start or approach this problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
bump, can anybody help?

I'm not sure what this notation means:

[tex]\binom{r-s+k-1}{k-1}[/tex]

Firstly work out how many ways there are to put 20 different balls in 5 different boxes, this is a nice easy bit of stats you can look up on wiki (combinations/permutations). Once you have this number you need to take away all the permutations where there are more than 10 balls in a box, slightly more challenging :)

Kelley said:
I'm not sure what this notation means:

[tex]\binom{r-s+k-1}{k-1}[/tex]

Firstly work out how many ways there are to put 20 different balls in 5 different boxes, this is a nice easy bit of stats you can look up on wiki (combinations/permutations). Once you have this number you need to take away all the permutations where there are more than 10 balls in a box, slightly more challenging :)

It's another way of writing [tex]

^nC_r

[/tex]

snshusat161 said:
It's another way of writing [tex]

^nC_r

[/tex]

Ah...

Makes sense!

1. How do you count balls in boxes?

Counting balls in boxes involves visually inspecting each box and physically counting the number of balls inside. This process can be tedious and time-consuming, but it is the most accurate way to determine the number of balls in a box.

2. Can you use technology to count balls in boxes?

Yes, there are various technologies that can be used to count balls in boxes. One method is using a scale to weigh the box before and after adding balls, and then calculating the difference in weight to determine the number of balls. Another method is using image recognition software to count the balls in a photo of the box.

3. How do you ensure accuracy when counting balls in boxes?

To ensure accuracy, it is important to have a systematic approach to counting balls in boxes. This includes organizing the boxes in a consistent manner, carefully inspecting each box, and double-checking the count. It may also be helpful to have multiple people count the same boxes independently and compare results.

4. Are there any challenges or limitations when counting balls in boxes?

One challenge when counting balls in boxes is that the balls may be stacked on top of each other, making it difficult to determine the exact number. Additionally, if the balls are small or similar in color, it may be easy to miscount. It is also important to consider the size and shape of the box, as this can affect the number of balls that can fit inside.

5. How is counting balls in boxes useful in scientific research?

Counting balls in boxes is a common method used in various scientific fields, such as materials science, biology, and chemistry. It can be used to determine the number of particles in a sample, the concentration of a substance, or the size distribution of objects. Additionally, counting balls in boxes can be used as a quality control measure in manufacturing processes where precise quantities are required.