Electric Potential-finding unknown charge

Tell us what you find, pleaseIn summary, the potential is 7.52 V at the midpoint between two point charges that are 0.91 m apart, with one charge being 1.11 x 10^-9 C. To find the value of the other charge, we can use the equation V = k(q1/r1 + q2/r2) and solve for q2. This gives us a value of -7.3 x 10^-10, which may be incorrect as it is not accepted by Webassign. It is recommended to consult with a teacher for clarification.
abspeers

Homework Statement

The potential equals 7.52 V at the midpoint between two point charges that are 0.91 m apart. One of the charges is 1.11 x 10-9 C. Find the value of the other charge.

Homework Equations

V = k [sum] (q/r)

The Attempt at a Solution

7.52=k[(1.11 x 10-9 / 0.455m ) + ( x / 0.455m )]

This gives me -7.3x10^-10, which is incorrect, but I cannot think of any other way to approach this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your approach is correct and the numbers match the approach. How do you know it is incorrect? Do you know the correct answer?

I am entering the answers in Webassign and it marked my answer as incorrect. I think there must be a mistake because no one I've showed it to has gotten a different answer.

It is time to ask your teacher. You might do everybody a favor.

1. What is electric potential and how is it related to unknown charges?

Electric potential is the measure of the amount of electrical potential energy that a charged particle possesses. It is related to unknown charges because the electric potential at a point is directly proportional to the magnitude of the charge present at that point.

2. How can I calculate the electric potential of an unknown charge?

To calculate the electric potential of an unknown charge, you will need to know the distance between the charge and the point at which you want to find the potential, as well as the value of the charge. Then, you can use the equation V = kQ/r, where V is the electric potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge, and r is the distance.

3. What is Coulomb's constant and why is it important in finding electric potential?

Coulomb's constant, represented by the letter k, is a fundamental constant in electrostatics that relates the force between two charges to the distance between them. It is important in finding electric potential because it helps to quantify the relationship between charge and potential.

4. Can the electric potential at a point be negative?

Yes, the electric potential at a point can be negative. This indicates that the potential energy of a charged particle at that point is decreasing as it moves away from the charge creating the potential. It is also possible for the electric potential to be zero at a point.

5. What are some real-life applications of finding unknown charges using electric potential?

One real-life application is in the field of electrostatics, where electric potential is used to calculate the capacitance of a capacitor and determine the charge stored on its plates. It is also used in the design and analysis of electrical circuits, as well as in the study of atomic and molecular structures.