Measuring Current Without Ammeter: Solutions & Tips

In summary, there are multiple ways to measure current, including using an ammeter in series, using the output voltage and input impedance, using a shunt resistor, and using a probe or Hall effect sensor. However, when dealing with currents between ICs, the most practical choice is to use a shunt resistor, as other methods may not be accurate enough. Additionally, in the case of a fault, one can often deduce the current flow using Kirchhoff's laws.
taupune
Hi people, i got a question regarding current measurement.
Is there a way to measure it, other than by putting the ammeter in series?
How do they find the current output from one IC to another IC and there isn't any resistance or cap between them?

Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The current into the input is simply a function of ohms law. As long as the reactive part is not significant, if the output voltage is known and the input impedance is known, one simply divides the output voltage by the input resistance. If the reactive component is significant, one still divides the voltage by the impedance but the calculations are more complex.

One way to measure currents between ICs etc is to use probe which measures the current "indirectly" via the magnetic field. The accuracy isn't great, but it works

This is also a very commong technique when dealing with higher currents through e.g.; you can buy so called current clamps that can be be with an ordinary multimeter.

Really, the best way is to use just to use a shunt resistor and measure the voltage across it. Hall effect sensors can work as well but are typically very inaccurate as f95toli said. Since you mentioned that you want to measure current going to ICs, i.e. milliamps, your only practical choice is to just use a shunt resistor.

Topher925 said:
Since you mentioned that you want to measure current going to ICs, i.e. milliamps, your only practical choice is to just use a shunt resistor.

I suspect that he is referring to ICs already soldered onto a board

I don't think Hall devices are any good for measuring a few milliAmps, which is the maximum that the typical circuitry uses 'between devices. mA of AC is fine to measure but DC is a problem because the ambient field is significant and can't totally be 'zeroed out'. If you have a fault, you can normally deduce what's going on without having to know the currents between all components - Kirchhoff 1 will often tell you.

1. How can I measure current without an ammeter?

One option is to use a multimeter set to measure current. Another method is to use a shunt resistor and measure the voltage drop across it.

2. What is a shunt resistor?

A shunt resistor is a low resistance resistor that is connected in parallel to a circuit. It allows a small portion of the current to flow through it, creating a measurable voltage drop.

3. Can I use any resistor as a shunt resistor?

No, a shunt resistor must have a low resistance value and be able to handle the current flowing through it without overheating. It is best to use a shunt resistor specifically designed for this purpose.

4. How do I calculate the current using a shunt resistor?

You can use Ohm's Law, which states that current (I) is equal to voltage (V) divided by resistance (R). So, I = V/R. Measure the voltage drop across the shunt resistor and divide it by the resistance value.

5. Are there any limitations to measuring current without an ammeter?

Measuring current without an ammeter may not be as accurate as using an actual ammeter. It also requires additional equipment and calculations, which can be time-consuming. It is best to use an ammeter for precise measurements.