Nuclear Physics Book: Rigorous & Easy to Understand

In summary, the individual is looking for a book on nuclear physics that is more rigorous than "Concepts of nuclear physics, Bernard L Cohen" and has a limited background in Quantum mechanics. Recommendations are made for "Introductory Nuclear Physics" by Krane and "Theoretical Nuclear Physics" by Blatt and Weisskopf. Additionally, a website by John Baez is suggested as a resource for finding standard texts in various fields.
uttamks
Hello everyone,
I need a book on nuclear physics. One that covers approximately same material as "Concepts of nuclear physics, Bernard L Cohen" but is a little more rigorous in its approach. My background in Quantum mechanics is limited to "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics by Griffith".
It would be a great if you guys can suggest some texts according to my needs.
TIA

Physics news on Phys.org
I am unfamiliar with Cohen so I cannot comment on a comparison of rigor, but a standard undergrad nuclear physics book is by Krane - "Introductory Nuclear Physics." It is written fpr the upper level undergrad audience. I don't know how much rigor you are going to be able to handle with only an undergrad QM level, but you might also check out the Dover book by Blatt and Weisskopf - "Theorectical Nuclear Physics." It is out of print, but should be available at most university libraries.

When I was a student looking for supplemental books and now whenever I need to delve into an area of physics I may not be as comfortable in, I have a look at John Baez's http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Administrivia/booklist.html" [Broken]. He typically lists the standard texts in most fields.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, I got the Krane's book and it suits well.

1. What is nuclear physics?

Nuclear physics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior and properties of atomic nuclei. It involves the study of the structure, composition, and reactions of atomic nuclei, as well as the particles that make up those nuclei.

2. Is this book suitable for beginners?

Yes, this book is designed to be both rigorous and easy to understand, making it suitable for beginners. It covers the fundamentals of nuclear physics in a clear and comprehensive manner, making it accessible to readers with little to no prior knowledge in the subject.

3. What topics are covered in this book?

This book covers a wide range of topics in nuclear physics, including nuclear structure, nuclear forces, radioactive decay, nuclear reactions, and nuclear energy. It also discusses applications of nuclear physics in fields such as medicine and energy production.

4. Are there any mathematical equations in this book?

Yes, this book does contain mathematical equations, as they are an essential part of understanding nuclear physics. However, the book is written in a way that makes these equations easy to follow and apply, even for those without a strong background in math.

5. Can this book be used as a reference for advanced students?

Yes, this book can be used as a reference for advanced students, as it covers both basic and advanced topics in nuclear physics. It also includes numerous examples and practice problems to help readers further their understanding of the subject.