Seeking Guidance on Schengen Visa Application for US Student Visiting CERN

In summary, the speaker is an Indian national studying in the US who will be visiting CERN for research for 2.5 months. They are seeking guidance on what documents to submit for a Schengen visa type C, as the information on the Swiss consulate website has been confusing. They ask for guidance on where to find more information or if anyone can provide it, and another person suggests asking CERN directly for the most up-to-date information.
haribrahma
Hi all,

Sorry for posting it here, but i believed i might get the right guidance if i asked group of physicist...

I am an Indian national, studying in US, this summer i am visiting CERN for my research on a short term basis(2.5months). Exploring the swiss consulate website for bunch of hours i end up is confusing myself on wat all the documents which i need to submit.

I know i should apply for schengen visa type C, but there are different category in it like Visitor, Tourist, Student...etc..etc..

Can anyone guide me to the place where i can get more information on the documents that i need to submit or pls share it if you know...

thank you...

Physics news on Phys.org
Ask CERN, they know best. The internal rules of the offices are changing quite a bit and the secretaries will know what to send these days. What permissions will be granted also depends on the city where you are going, so really write to CERN.

1. What is a Schengen visa and why do I need one?

A Schengen visa is a travel document that allows you to enter and travel within the Schengen area, which includes 26 European countries. If you are a US student visiting CERN, you will need a Schengen visa to enter Switzerland, which is one of the countries in the Schengen area.

2. How do I apply for a Schengen visa?

To apply for a Schengen visa, you will need to visit the website of the Swiss embassy or consulate in your home country. There, you will find information on the required documents, fees, and application process. You may also need to schedule an appointment for an interview at the embassy or consulate.

3. What documents do I need to include in my Schengen visa application?

The specific documents required may vary depending on your specific situation and the embassy or consulate you are applying through. However, in general, you will need to provide a valid passport, a completed visa application form, a letter of acceptance from CERN or your university, proof of financial means to support yourself during your stay, and travel insurance.

4. How long does it take to process a Schengen visa application?

The processing time for a Schengen visa application can vary, but it typically takes anywhere from 10-15 days. It is recommended to apply for your visa at least 3 weeks before your planned trip to allow for any potential delays.

5. Can I extend my Schengen visa if I need to stay longer than my original planned trip?

In general, Schengen visas are only valid for the duration of your planned trip and cannot be extended. However, if you have a valid reason for needing to stay longer, you may be able to apply for an extension at the local immigration authorities in the country you are visiting. It is important to note that extensions are not guaranteed and must be applied for before your original visa expires.