Nails going down the side of the roof

• Thread starter charan1
  • Start date
In summary: In that case, the box would be at the edge of the roof nearest to the one on top and the force of gravity would be greater than the frictional force.
charan1

Homework Statement

You and your friend Peter are putting new shingles on a roof pitched at 22 degree . You're sitting on the very top of the roof when Peter, who is at the edge of the roof directly below you, 5.0 m away, asks you for the box of nails. Rather than carry the 2.5 kg box of nails down to Peter, you decide to give the box a push and have it slide down to him.

If the coefficient of kinetic friction between the box and the roof is 0.53, with what speed should you push the box to have it gently come to rest right at the edge of the roof?

Homework Equations

Vf^2=Vi^2+2*a*delta s

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

First found the length of the roof by assuming that the height was 5m and angle 22* i found the length to be 13.3475meters using trig...sin(22)=5m/roof length

then i did the force calculations to find Fnet then find the acceleration:

9.8cos(22)*2.5kg=22.71N

9.8cos(22)*2.5kg*.53= -12.039N

Fnet=22.71-12.039N
Fnet=10.671N

Then solved for the acceleration:

F=ma

10.671N=2.5kg * a
a=4.2684m/s^2

then i plugged those values into this equation to find Vi

Vf^2=Vi^2+2*a*delta s

0=Vi^2 + 2 * (4.2684m/s^2) * (13.3475m)

Vi=10.67m/s

is this correct? thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
For the net force, you calculated both gravity's force and the frictional force using cosine. The force of gravity down the ramp should be sine.

I did both with sin and cosin and they were both wrong need help someone please help!

well i got 1.144856m/s^2 after getting the net force along the roofs axis to be 2.862N and found the Vi to be 5.53m/s and that is also incorrect is it suppose to be negative?

Im having a lot of trouble here...

Well the acceleration should be negative because the frictional force exceeds the force due to gravity.

Maybe your problem is in assuming "5 meters away" meant directly away from the one on top of the roof rather than down the roof.

What causes nails to go down the side of the roof?

There are a few potential causes for this issue, including improper installation techniques, poor quality nails, or the expansion and contraction of the roof materials due to temperature changes.

Why are nails going down the side of the roof a problem?

Nails that are not properly secured can cause leaks and damage to the roof and underlying structure. They can also pose a safety hazard if they become loose and fall off the roof.

How can I prevent nails from going down the side of the roof?

Proper installation techniques, using high-quality nails, and regularly inspecting and maintaining the roof can help prevent this issue. Ensuring that the nails are secured tightly and using sealants can also help prevent them from coming loose.

Can weather conditions affect the nails on a roof?

Yes, weather conditions such as extreme temperatures, high winds, and heavy rain can all contribute to the nails becoming loose or damaged. It is important to regularly check and maintain the roof after severe weather events.

Should I attempt to fix nails that have gone down the side of the roof myself?

It is generally recommended to hire a professional roofing contractor to fix any issues with the roof, including loose or damaged nails. They have the proper tools and expertise to safely and effectively address the problem.