Help with deriving transfer function of a second order control system

In summary, the conversation involves deriving an expression for the overall transfer function of a system given a block diagram and certain parameters. The goal is to show that the system is a Second Order system and to derive expressions for the natural frequency and damping ratio in terms of the parameters given. The dependency of TI on the natural frequency and damping ratio is also discussed. The attempt at a solution involves manipulating equations and getting all the H terms on one side of the equation, but it is not clear how to proceed from there. It is suggested to make one of the input signals, HRK or Vref, equal to zero to obtain the transfer function relative to that input.
mcds

Homework Statement

Please see attachment for block diagram of the system.

Starting with the block diagram given in Figure 2 derive an expression for the overall transfer
function of the system, where Gc(s) is in the form given by Eq. (1). Show that the system is a
Second Order system. Derive expressions for the natural frequency and damping ratio of the
system in terms of the system parameters given in the Theory section of DTC lecture notes. Show
the dependency of TI on the natural frequency and damping ratio.
Starting with the block diagram given in Figure 2 derive an expression for the error voltage VE.

Homework Equations

Equation 1 ------> Gc(s) = Kp (1+(1/Ti(s)))

The Attempt at a Solution

HRK – HK = Ve
[(Gc x Ve) + (vRef) x (Km)] x (R/1 + ARs) = H
H ((1 + ARs)/R) = [(Gc x Ve) + (vRef) x (Km)]
H ((1 + ARs)/ Km x R) = [(Gc x Ve) + (vRef) ]
H ((1 + ARs)/ Km x R) - (vRef) = [(Gc x Ve)]
[H ((1 + ARs)/ Km x R) - (vRef)] x (1/Ve) = Gc
[H ((1 + ARs)) - (vRef) (Km x R)] x (1/Ve) = Gc (Km x R)
[H ((1 + ARs)) - (vRef) (Km x R)/Ve) = Gc (Km x R)
[H ((1 + ARs)) - (vRef) (Km x R)/(HRK – HK)) = Gc (Km x R)

I am not sure how to proceed from this point onwards and would be very grateful for help/pointers in the right direction. I am told that I need to get all the H terms on one side of the equation if this helps.

Attachments

• blockdiargam.JPG
    blockdiargam.JPG
    12.8 KB · Views: 482
Physics news on Phys.org
mcds said:

Homework Statement

Please see attachment for block diagram of the system.

Starting with the block diagram given in Figure 2 derive an expression for the overall transfer
function of the system, where Gc(s) is in the form given by Eq. (1). Show that the system is a
Second Order system. Derive expressions for the natural frequency and damping ratio of the
system in terms of the system parameters given in the Theory section of DTC lecture notes. Show
the dependency of TI on the natural frequency and damping ratio.
Starting with the block diagram given in Figure 2 derive an expression for the error voltage VE.

Homework Equations

Equation 1 ------> Gc(s) = Kp (1+(1/Ti(s)))

The Attempt at a Solution

HRK – HK = Ve
[(Gc x Ve) + (vRef) x (Km)] x (R/1 + ARs) = H
H ((1 + ARs)/R) = [(Gc x Ve) + (vRef) x (Km)]
H ((1 + ARs)/ Km x R) = [(Gc x Ve) + (vRef) ]
H ((1 + ARs)/ Km x R) - (vRef) = [(Gc x Ve)]
[H ((1 + ARs)/ Km x R) - (vRef)] x (1/Ve) = Gc
[H ((1 + ARs)) - (vRef) (Km x R)] x (1/Ve) = Gc (Km x R)
[H ((1 + ARs)) - (vRef) (Km x R)/Ve) = Gc (Km x R)
[H ((1 + ARs)) - (vRef) (Km x R)/(HRK – HK)) = Gc (Km x R)

I am not sure how to proceed from this point onwards and would be very grateful for help/pointers in the right direction. I am told that I need to get all the H terms on one side of the equation if this helps.

You have two input signals: HRK and Vref. You can have a transfer function only relative to one of them. To obtain the TF relative to HRK, make Vref = 0. To obtain the TF relative to Vref, make HRK = 0.
I have not followed your development, but I believe it is wrong, because if you make Vref = 0, HRK disappears from the equation.

1. How do I derive the transfer function of a second order control system?

To derive the transfer function of a second order control system, you will need to use the Laplace transform. Start by writing out the differential equation describing the system in terms of input and output variables. Then, apply the Laplace transform to both sides and solve for the transfer function by rearranging the equation.

2. What are the key components of a second order control system?

A second order control system consists of two poles, a natural frequency, and a damping ratio. The poles are the roots of the transfer function, and determine the stability of the system. The natural frequency represents the frequency at which the system will oscillate when excited, and the damping ratio determines the rate at which the oscillations will decay.

3. How does the damping ratio affect the response of a second order control system?

The damping ratio affects the response of a second order control system by determining the speed and stability of the system's response. A higher damping ratio results in a slower response and greater stability, while a lower damping ratio results in a faster response but potentially less stability.

4. Can the transfer function of a second order control system be simplified?

Yes, the transfer function of a second order control system can be simplified by factoring out common terms and simplifying the expression. This can help in understanding the behavior of the system and making modifications to improve its performance.

5. How can a second order control system be analyzed and optimized?

A second order control system can be analyzed and optimized using various techniques such as root locus, Bode plot, and Nyquist plot. These methods allow for visualization of the system's behavior and can help in making adjustments to improve its performance. Additionally, mathematical techniques such as pole placement and controller design can be used to optimize the system's response.