Sum of two cosine functions with angular frequences

In summary, the question asks to express the function I(t) as the sum of two cosine functions and evaluate the bandwidth in terms of the given frequencies w1 and w2. The solution is I = A/2 (cos Pt + cos Qt) where P = w1 + w2 and Q = w1 - w2. However, the equation for bandwidth (|P-Q|) can result in two different values depending on the values of w1 and w2, leading to confusion. To ensure both Q and P are positive valued, the bandwidth should be expressed as max(P,Q) - min(P,Q).
bon

Homework Statement

ok so I am given that I(t) = A cos (w1 t)cos(w2 t)

where w2<<w1

then I am asked to express I as the sum of two cosine functions with angular frequences P and Q which I have:

I = A/2 (cosPt + cosQt) where P = w1+w2 and Q=w1-w2

Im then asked to evaluate the bandwith in terms of w1 and w2

Is this just |P-Q| in which case it would be 2w2? I am confused :S thanks

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org

bon said:

Homework Statement

ok so I am given that I(t) = A cos (w1 t)cos(w2 t)

where w2<<w1

then I am asked to express I as the sum of two cosine functions with angular frequences P and Q which I have:

I = A/2 (cosPt + cosQt) where P = w1+w2 and Q=w1-w2

Im then asked to evaluate the bandwith in terms of w1 and w2

Is this just |P-Q| in which case it would be 2w2? I am confused :S thanks

Yes, it is confusing. Because Bandwidth=|P-Q| is wrong! Without additional qualification it gives you two mutually inconsistant answers.

Let's pick two frequencies. w1=10 and w2=100.

Q = w1-w2 = -90, and we have a negative frequency.
P = 110, and the bandwidth would be 110 - -90 = 200.

Swap roles.

w1=100
w2=10

Now Q = 90 and P = 110.

The bandwith according to |P-Q| = 20.

How would you express your solution to ensure that Q and P are both positive valued?

Last edited:

1. What is the formula for finding the sum of two cosine functions with angular frequencies?

The formula for finding the sum of two cosine functions with angular frequencies is:
f(x) = A1cos(ω1x + φ1) + A2cos(ω2x + φ2), where A1 and A2 are the amplitudes, ω1 and ω2 are the angular frequencies, and φ1 and φ2 are the phase shifts of the two cosine functions.

2. Can the sum of two cosine functions with different angular frequencies be simplified?

Yes, the sum of two cosine functions with different angular frequencies can be simplified using the trigonometric identity:

cos(x+y) = cos(x)cos(y) - sin(x)sin(y)

3. How do the amplitudes and phases of the two cosine functions affect the sum?

The amplitudes and phases of the two cosine functions affect the sum by determining the overall shape and position of the resulting waveform. The amplitudes determine the maximum and minimum values of the sum, while the phases determine the starting point and direction of the waveform.

4. Can the sum of two cosine functions have a negative amplitude?

Yes, the sum of two cosine functions can have a negative amplitude if the two individual cosine functions have opposite amplitudes and are out of phase by π radians (180 degrees).

5. How does the angular frequency affect the period of the sum of two cosine functions?

The angular frequency affects the period of the sum of two cosine functions by determining how many cycles occur within a given interval. The higher the angular frequency, the more cycles will occur and thus the shorter the period will be.