Behavior of the natural log at large values of x

In summary, the conversation discusses the asymptotic behavior of ln(x) or ln(1+x) for large values of x. While ln(x) behaves linearly, it grows slower than any positive-power function of x. However, when considering ln(1+x), it can be approximated by ln(x) + 1/x. This phenomenon is counter-intuitive and often perplexing, but it can be understood by looking at the growth of the Harmonic series.
karanmohan
Hello, I am fairly new here, so thank you in advance for your help. This is not a homework problem, just one of curiosity based on my limited knowledge of asymptotic expansions. I'm curious about how the function ln(x) or ln(1+x) behaves for large values of x. Plotting in Matlab, I see a linear behavior, but I am not certain as I can't seem to find an asymptotic expansion anywhere. Any help is appreciated, particularly with references.

Physics news on Phys.org
The asymptotic behavior of log(x) is log(x). Log is a special thing, just as is exp(x). The exponential function grows faster than power function xa, no matter how large a is. This means that log(x) has to grow slower than any xa, no matter how small a is.

However, there is a lot one can say about log(x+1) for large x. Write x+1=x(1+1/x). Then log(x+1) = log(x(1+1/x)) = log(x) + log(1+1/x) ~ log(x) + 1/x.

thanks for the response...hmm, i can't seem to see a linear behavior in there, despite seeing a somewhat linear behavior when i plot it. Am i just visualizing something?

There is no linear behavior. The slope of log(x) approaches zero as x grows toward infinity, but it does so in a weird way: log (x) is of course unbounded.

D H said:
There is no linear behavior. The slope of log(x) approaches zero as x grows toward infinity, but it does so in a weird way: log (x) is of course unbounded.
This was something that always puzzled me when I was taking calculus. As x increases, the graph of ln(x) "flattens out," but it flattens out so incredibly slowly that it still manages to cross every single horizontal line y=C. It's just such a counter-intuitive phenomenon. Can anyone shed any light into this mystery?

The same intuition that makes people think that ln(x) should have a horizontal asymptote would also make them think that e^x has a vertical asymptote somewhere. How is it that a function which becomes infinitely steep as x goes to infinity manages to still cross every vertical line x=C?

What mystery? It's just [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} log(x) = \infty[/tex]. It doesn't matter how "slow" it gets. It will get there "eventually".

lugita15 said:
This was something that always puzzled me when I was taking calculus. As x increases, the graph of ln(x) "flattens out," but it flattens out so incredibly slowly that it still manages to cross every single horizontal line y=C. It's just such a counter-intuitive phenomenon. Can anyone shed any light into this mystery?
I guess I don't see what the mystery is, the part that I boldfaced actually sums it up very well. By the way, the square root function does this too -- though ln(x) does flatten out faster, and grows more slowly, than any positive-power function of x as DH said earlier.

But if you want a real mind-blower, look at a plot of ln(ln(x)), and try imagining that increasing without bound.

The growth of log(x) is closely related to the growth of the Harmonic series
1 + (1/2) + (1/3) + (1/4) + (1/5) + ...​

What is the natural log function?

The natural log function, denoted as ln(x), is the inverse of the exponential function e^x. It represents the power that e must be raised to in order to equal a given number x.

What happens to the natural log at large values of x?

As x approaches infinity, the natural log function continues to increase but at a slower rate. This means that the slope of the graph decreases and the function eventually approaches a horizontal asymptote at y=∞.

Why is the natural log important in science?

The natural log function is commonly used in science to express relationships between variables that grow or decay exponentially. It also has important applications in statistics and probability.

What are the properties of the natural log function?

Some properties of the natural log function include: ln(1) = 0, ln(e) = 1, ln(a*b) = ln(a) + ln(b), and ln(a^b) = b*ln(a). It also has a domain of all positive real numbers and a range of all real numbers.

How can the natural log be used to simplify mathematical expressions?

The natural log function can be used to simplify expressions by using its properties to rewrite them in a more manageable form. It is also useful in solving equations involving exponential functions, as the natural log "undoes" the effect of the exponential function.