Breeding Ratio of thorium fuel cycle

In summary, a breeder reactor working on a thorium fuel cycle with a constant thermal power of 2.5GW and a production rate of 52kg per year of 233U has a breeding ratio of C = G + 1, where G represents the capture to fission ratio of 233U. The energy released per fission is 197.9Mev, which can be used to calculate the energy produced from fission of 52kg of 233U. The simple formula for finding the breeding ratio may be w = (P/E) x (1/C - 1), where P is the rate of production of new fuel and E is the energy released per fission.
bevan100

Homework Statement

A breeder reactor is designed to work on a thorium fuel cycle. If the reactor generates a constant thermal power of 2.5GW and a production rate of 233U is 52kg per year. Find the breeding Ratio

[You may assume the capture to fission ratio of 233U is 0.09 and the energy released per fission is 197.9Mev.]

Homework Equations

Breeding Ratio= number of fissile nuclei produced/ number of fissile nuclei consumed

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't know how to go about solving this problem.
I would assume that the capture to fission ratio is important.

The fission of one atom of U-233 generates 197.9 MeV = 3.171 × 10−11 J, i.e. 19.09 TJ/mol = 81.95 TJ/kg.
Then multiply by 0.91 and calculate the energy from fission of 52kg.

81.95 TJ/kg x 52kg x 0.91=3.88x1015J per year

Also reactor produces 2.5GW so I can see this is also really important but get the feeling I am missing something simple as this is the 1st question on a past paper.

Any help really appreciated

Thanks
Lewis

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ha... I am stuck too lewis i swear this wasn't in his notes...

rate of production of new fuel = G w P = 52kg

G = C - 1

where C is the breeding ratio...

strugling to find w (think its to do with the 200 MeV) but i think its simpler than ur calculations

Last edited:

What is the breeding ratio of a thorium fuel cycle?

The breeding ratio of a thorium fuel cycle refers to the ratio of fissile material produced to the fissile material consumed. In other words, it measures the efficiency of the cycle in producing more fuel than it uses up.

Why is the breeding ratio of a thorium fuel cycle important?

The breeding ratio is important because it determines the sustainability of the thorium fuel cycle. A breeding ratio greater than 1 means that the cycle can continuously produce more fuel, making it a potentially viable alternative to traditional nuclear fuel cycles.

How does the breeding ratio of a thorium fuel cycle compare to other nuclear fuel cycles?

The breeding ratio of a thorium fuel cycle is generally higher than traditional uranium-based fuel cycles. This is because thorium is more abundant and easier to convert into fissile material, making it a more efficient fuel source.

What factors affect the breeding ratio of a thorium fuel cycle?

The breeding ratio of a thorium fuel cycle can be affected by various factors such as the type of reactor design, the purity of the thorium fuel, and the efficiency of the conversion process. Additionally, the presence of impurities or contaminants can also impact the breeding ratio.

What are the potential benefits of using a thorium fuel cycle with a high breeding ratio?

A high breeding ratio in a thorium fuel cycle can lead to several potential benefits. These include reduced nuclear waste, decreased reliance on uranium and plutonium, and a more sustainable and efficient energy source. It can also help to reduce the risk of nuclear proliferation and improve overall safety in the nuclear industry.