Which Box Holds the 0.9 Gram Beans in This Brain Teaser?

In summary, there are 10 boxes of beans, each containing 10 beans. Out of the 10 boxes, 9 have beans weighing 1 gram each, while one box has beans weighing 0.9 grams each. The boxes are randomly placed side by side. To find the box with the 0.9 gram beans, use the weighing machine once by assigning a different number to each box and calculating the product of the weight with the assigned number for each bean. If all weights are the same, the total sum will be a multiple of 55 (the sum of numbers from 1 to 10). However, if one weight is different, the total sum will not be a multiple of 55 and the difference will indicate
dibilo
there are 10 boxs of beans. in each box there are 10 beans. of the 10 boxes, 9 of them have beans weighing 1 gram each and the remaining one have beans weighing 0.9 grams each. the boxes are now placed side by side randomly. you can only use the weighing machine once, find out which box contains the beans that weigh 0.9 grams.

Physics news on Phys.org
1+2+3+4+5+6+7+8+9+10 = 55
:rolleyes:

-- AI

Damn, Tenali's fast, eh ? :wink:

Say, Tenali.

<Select below>

Why don't you write the answer down in white so others can still work on it if they don't want to see the answer.

Last edited:
omg tenali u again... lol guess i'll have to come up with something harder :)

Gokul,
I try to be as cryptic in my answer as possible so as not to give away anything and still put out a solution. Though I will keep it in mind to post in white next time i give my answers.

Please explain th e solution, I don't get it.

thx.

Vague Hint
Assume that u have 10 robots and each robot is assigned one bean box. the 10 robots are given different numbers say x_i. Each robot then just selects a bean from its corresponding bean box and computes the the product w_i*x_i ... then suppose we add up all this computed outputs ... what can we expect if
1> all w_i are same (or 1 gram as in this case)
2> one of w_i is not same (or .9 grams as in this case)

i will put out a more specific hint later but think on the above it can help u solve a lot many problems ...

-- AI

1. What is the "Bean Weight Brain Teaser"?

The "Bean Weight Brain Teaser" is a puzzle that involves a set of beans with different weights and a balance scale. The objective is to determine the weight of each bean by using the balance scale a limited number of times.

2. How do you solve the "Bean Weight Brain Teaser"?

To solve the "Bean Weight Brain Teaser", you must first divide the beans into two groups and weigh them on the balance scale. If the weights are equal, then the bean with the highest weight is in the remaining group. If the weights are not equal, then the bean with the lowest weight is in the lighter group. Repeat this process with the remaining beans until you have determined the weight of each bean.

3. How many times can you use the balance scale to solve the "Bean Weight Brain Teaser"?

The "Bean Weight Brain Teaser" can be solved using the balance scale a maximum of two times. This is because in each weighing, you are able to eliminate at least half of the beans.

4. What is the purpose of the "Bean Weight Brain Teaser"?

The purpose of the "Bean Weight Brain Teaser" is to challenge critical thinking and problem-solving skills. It also helps to improve mathematical reasoning and logical deduction abilities.

5. Are there different variations of the "Bean Weight Brain Teaser"?

Yes, there are different variations of the "Bean Weight Brain Teaser" that involve different numbers of beans and different weight differentials between the beans. Some variations may also allow for more or less uses of the balance scale.