Thevinin Question (electrical Crts)

• Thread starter seto6
  • Start date
Overall, you should double check your calculations to find the correct power value.In summary, the conversation is about finding the thevenin equivalent for a circuit in order to replace it at the load. The thevenin resistance is found to be 4k ohm and the thevenin voltage is calculated to be 8 volts. However, there is a discrepancy in the calculation of the maximum power transferred, with one person getting 16mW and the other getting 4mW. The mistake could be due to using the wrong formula or an error in the numbers. It is recommended to double check the calculations to find the correct power value.
seto6
ok, i want to find a thevinin equvilent so i can replace the circuit at the load with the thevinin equivalent.

so i would end up with a voltage thevinin, thevinin resistance and the load.

now i found the thevinin resistance to be 4k ohm.

now i found the voltage at the load, thus thevinin voltage to be 8 volts.

the max power through the load is when the load is equal to thevinin resistance which is 4k ohm. i calculated the max power transferred to be 16mW, but they got 4mW...where did i go wrong.

hsjs7n.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
You got everything correct except the power. What exactly did you do to calculate the power?

You probably used the Thevenin voltage squared divided by the resistance to calculate the power.You should use the voltage drop across the resistance instead, which should be noted to be half the supply voltage, since the two resistances are equal (Rl = Rth) so the voltage drop across each one should be the same.
Or maybe you just made a mistake with the numbers.

1. What is the Thevinin Question in electrical circuits?

The Thevinin Question is a mathematical analysis method used to simplify complex electrical circuits into a single equivalent voltage source and resistance. This allows for easier analysis and understanding of circuit behavior.

2. How is the Thevinin Question used in circuit analysis?

The Thevinin Question is used by replacing the original circuit with a single voltage source and resistance that have the same effect on the rest of the circuit as the original circuit. This allows for simplification and easier analysis of the circuit.

3. What is the Thevinin voltage and resistance?

The Thevinin voltage is the open-circuit voltage at the output terminals of the circuit and the Thevinin resistance is the equivalent resistance seen from the output terminals with all sources removed.

4. Why is the Thevinin Question important in electrical engineering?

The Thevinin Question is important because it allows for the simplification and analysis of complex electrical circuits. It also helps in designing and troubleshooting circuits by providing a way to understand the behavior of the circuit under different conditions.

5. Are there any limitations to the Thevinin Question?

Yes, the Thevinin Question is limited to linear circuits, meaning the components in the circuit must follow Ohm's Law. It also assumes that the circuit is in a steady-state condition and does not take into account any transient effects.